Frost Ensemble to play Carnegie Hall in March

The Frost School of Music Wind Ensemble will appear at Carnegie Hall on March 29. The 48-student ensemble is performing the world premiere of Wolf Rounds, a work by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Christopher Rouse.

According to a recent article in Veritas magazine, the student members have clocked hundreds of hours of practice in preparation for their Carnegie Hall debut.

In addition to Rouse’s original piece, the group’s performance also includes works by Bach, Stravinsky, French composer Andre Jolivet and German composer Paul Hindemith.

The performance has been four years in the making, after Rouse was initially contacted by Gary Green, the conductor of the Frost Wind Ensemble.

Green, who is a also professor and the chair of instrumental performance, told Veritas that getting prominent composers to write original pieces for student orchestras can be difficult, but Dean William Hipp of the Frost School made it a priority.

This will be the first time in the 80-year history of the School of Music that a student ensemble has performed at Carnegie Hall.

Veronica Sepe may be contacted at v.sepe@umiami.edu.

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...