Frost Ensemble to play Carnegie Hall in March

The Frost School of Music Wind Ensemble will appear at Carnegie Hall on March 29. The 48-student ensemble is performing the world premiere of Wolf Rounds, a work by Pulitzer Prize-winning composer Christopher Rouse.

According to a recent article in Veritas magazine, the student members have clocked hundreds of hours of practice in preparation for their Carnegie Hall debut.

In addition to Rouse’s original piece, the group’s performance also includes works by Bach, Stravinsky, French composer Andre Jolivet and German composer Paul Hindemith.

The performance has been four years in the making, after Rouse was initially contacted by Gary Green, the conductor of the Frost Wind Ensemble.

Green, who is a also professor and the chair of instrumental performance, told Veritas that getting prominent composers to write original pieces for student orchestras can be difficult, but Dean William Hipp of the Frost School made it a priority.

This will be the first time in the 80-year history of the School of Music that a student ensemble has performed at Carnegie Hall.

Veronica Sepe may be contacted at v.sepe@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...