“Freedom of Speech” Communication Week features events for various disciplines

From heated debates about world news coverage in the Common Ground Courtyard to screenings of award-winning films about the Middle East to the importance of health communication education, Communication Week 2007 had a little something for everyone in the School of Communication.

For the past two years, Sam L Grogg, the school’s dean, has encouraged program directors and individual faculty to set up the events and gather the speakers for this year’s ComWeek, which took place from Feb. 16 to 23.

“This year’s ComWeek has expanded greatly in terms of variety of events,” Grogg said. “I wanted to encourage people to come up with ideas for this ‘buffet’ and to add their ‘favorite dishes.'”

The first courtyard forum, “World News Coverage,” brought together three different perspectives on international journalism.

William Stebbin, who was representing Al Jazeera International, and Jody Benyunes, representing Broadcast Dynamics, both gave reasons why their news organizations are credible and a great source of information about the world outside the U.S.

Soon after the introductions began, a debate ensued.

“I believe that the coverage of Al Jazeera is radical,” Benyunes said. “Everyone recognizes Al Jazeera as a radical Muslim regime.”

The debate continued throughout much of the forum, which ended with a lesson from the panel to the students to always be skeptical and question where one gets information from.

Andrea Linares, a sophomore who attended the event, said her favorite part was the debate.

“I think they should have more debates for ComWeek,” she said. “It gets everyone’s attention and made me come up with questions myself.”

Another forum, “War on Terror: How the New York Times Covers Today’s Global Conflicts,” featured the deputy foreign editor of the Times, Ethan Bronner. This event also focused on international coverage, specifically the Middle East.

Bronner spoke of security issues and dangers reporters face in that region.

“This is a level of reporting that we have never dealt with before,” he said.

Ricardo Herrera, a senior who attended the Times forum, had never been to a ComWeek event in previous years.

“The university did such a better job at advertising it,” he said. “I didn’t even know about it last year. Now that I’ve gone, I think students should take advantage of this opportunity.”

Not all of ComWeek was devoted to international affairs. Two forums featured women speakers and were dedicated to how they broke through the “glass ceiling” in the media.

One of these forums, “Women Who Launch: Women Paving the Way in Media Management,” featured successful women, many of whom faced sexism in the work place.

Maritza Gutierrez, a speaker at that event, is the president of Creative Ideas Advertising.

“There is only a challenge when you think that there is a challenge to overcome,” she said. “You have to earn what it is you’re fighting for, no matter your gender.”

Other ComWeek events dealt with public policy, health communication, law and journalistic ethics, photography and advertising.

“What’s New in Advertising-And What’s Not” featured Chuck Porter of the Crispin, Porter + Bogusky firm. “Less than half have a degree in advertising,” he said of his employees. “All you need is brains, talent and passion.”

Grogg said that he feels ComWeek 2007 was a success; nonetheless, he still has ideas to improve next year’s ComWeek.

“I want more celebratory events, like the rap concert we had last year,” Grogg said. “I want to combine a good time with some good learning.”

He also hopes to eventually form a student committee responsible for planning ComWeek.

“These guests that we bring here for ComWeek are attracted to the students,” Grogg said. “They know that they are the bridge that connects the students to the real world.”

Janal Montagna may be contacted at j.montagna1@umiami.edu.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...