Ethics Society Debate Team wins national championship

The University of Miami has another national championship to add to its collection-only this time, it’s in ethics.

UM’s Ethics Society Debate Team competed against teams from other leading schools at the annual Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl competition in Cincinnati Thursday. After facing Weber State University in the quarter-finals and the U.S. Military Academy in the semi-finals, they met Westminster College for the finals.

“It is an honor and a privilege to bring this home to UM,” said Anita Cava, faculty advisor to the team and associate professor of business law. “I couldn’t be more proud of these students, who competed so well in a field with such renowned institutions. UM certainly made its mark.”

According to the Ethics Bowl website, the Intercollegiate Ethics Bowl models widely acknowledged methods of reasoning in practical and professional ethics.

The debaters argued on cases dealing with affirmative action in South Africa, use of GPS systems to track children and other topics.

“We all feel a healthy mix between amazing jubilation and tired,” Josh Morales, Ethics Society vice president, said.

The national championship win comes after members of the Ethics Society helped organize the Arhst Debate at Sportsfest two weeks ago. Cava said that the team looks forward to engaging the interest of students on campus.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...