Women’s Tennis: Season marked by big wins, tough defeats

Coming into this season, the expectations were very high for Miami’s women’s tennis team, who appeared in the NCAA finals and earned a preseason rank at No. 5. Since then, there has been conflict: they’ve lost two close matches to top 10 teams, one top 10 player and fell three spots to No. 8 in the polls.

Despite the trouble, they have fared well, and remain in a strong position to make another run at the NCAA finals.

This past weekend was a mixed bag for the ‘Canes, as they took down the No. 22 ranked Texas Longhorns 4-3, led by a huge win from junior transfer Gina Sabatino, formerly of Boston University. Sabatino, in the No. 5 position, defeated Stephanie Davison 7-5, 7-5.

The weekend headed south when the team headed north, losing to Florida 4-3 at Linder Stadium. Audra Cohen claimed her seventh singles win of the season, defeating No. 11 Diana Srebrovic, sweeping her 6-4, 6-4, reaffirming her spot as the No. 1 singles player in the country. Sabatino came up big again, defeating her first-ranked opponent, Whitney Benik, who is ranked No. 78 in the nation.

However, the fourth-ranked Gators were too much for the ‘Canes. With the match tied at 3-3, Audrey Banada took No. 95 Megan Alexander to three sets but ultimately fell short, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

Miami has played solid so far this year, defeating two ranked teams, Texas and No. 10 Baylor. The only other loss of the year came at the hands of sixth ranked Northwestern, in the quarterfinals of the USTA/ITA National Team Indoor Championships.

The injury bug has largely stayed away from the ‘Canes so far this year, although it did bite one player big time. Laura Vallverdu, a freshman sensation ranked No. 6 in the country, injured an ankle which required surgery last week.

According to Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews, Vallverdu will be out for an extended period of time, but is expected to make a full recovery.

“She’ll be up and running in a few weeks,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “She’ll be fine.”

The ‘Canes will face a tough schedule the rest of the way, as they have not yet entered ACC play, which will truly test the strength of the team. The ACC is perennially strong, with 11 of its 12 teams currently ranked nationally in the top 75; Boston College is the only team not ranked.

The team will have to fasten their seatbelts and get ready for the ride, as their schedule is ready to heat up. The next few weeks should give everyone an idea of where the team stands, as they will be facing elite competition on a weekly basis.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

We examined where UM stands with defensive recruiting, by position, in this piece. Here’s a look at ...

Lakeland, for the most part, has always been Florida Gators country. Florida has been able to rely o ...

University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz is receiving strong consideration for the head ...

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...