Sports Briefs

Football: Shannon finishes assembling staff

University of Miami football Head Coach Randy Shannon finished putting together his 2007 coaching staff by hiring Wesley McGriff as the secondary coach, and former Hurricane Micheal Barrow as the linebackers coach.

McGriff comes to the Hurricanes after having spent the last couple of weeks as a coach on the Kansas State staff and four years at Baylor. McGriff has served as a cornerbacks coach and as a recruiting coordinator, and he was considered one of the Big 12’s top recruiters.

Barrow, on the other hand, is an alum. He played as a middle linebacker for the school from 1989-1992. In his tenure as a ‘Cane, Barrow won two national titles, was voted an All-American in 1992, was a Butkus Award runner-up, was seventh in the 1992 Heisman Trophy voting, was the third all-time tackler in school history and was a Big East Defensive Player of the Year. On top of this, Barrow also played for 13 seasons in the NFL.

With the coaching staff now complete and recruiting for this season coming to a close, the team and coaches can focus on the spring football schedule.

Women’s Basketball: Miami unable to defeat No. 2 UNC

The Miami Hurricane’s women’s basketball team was unable to defeat the No. 2 University of North Carolina Tar Heels, losing 93-70.

Despite a 28-point, nine rebound, five steal effort from Maurita Reid and a strong second-half, where the Hurricanes outscored the Tar Heels 46-41, the Hurricanes were unable to faze the Lady Tar Heels.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 11-17 on the season and 2-11 in ACC play.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.