News Briefs

UMNews

School of Communication upgrades its studios

Upgrades to TV studios and control room facilities featuring state-of-the-art digital equipment and technology have brought the School of Communication and UMTV into a new age.

The new high-tech equipment includes new monitors, switchers, audio mixers, video servers and other support devices. It is the same modern technology used by major television networks and local stations all over the country.

“We are very excited about this upgrade-one of many such moves that will strengthen the media capabilities of the university,” Sam L. Grogg, dean of the school, said in a press release.

The school’s studios and control rooms had previously featured analog capabilities. Tom Ortiz, director of operations and engineering who supervised the upgrades, said the digital technology will allow UMTV to produce programs that feature better images and audio quality.

The new digital studios give broadcast journalism and video-film production students at the school an advantage over students at other schools of communication when they enter the competitive media job market. The communications school also plans to implement high-definition television.

The $2.2 million digital upgrade project was completed in early January.

ELSEWhere

Secondhand smoke can impact women more than men

Margaret Micell // Daily Collegian (Penn State)

(U-WIRE) UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Up to 20 percent of women who develop lung cancer have never smoked, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

The study, led by Dr. Heather Wakelee of Stanford University, suggests that secondhand smoke may be to blame.

According to the American Lung Association, secondhand smoke contains hundreds of chemicals known to be toxic or carcinogenic including formaldehyde, benzene, vinyl chloride, arsenic ammonia and hydrogen cyanide. Secondhand smoke is estimated to be the cause of 3,400 lung cancer deaths in the U.S. annually.

The study reported that the lung cancer incidence rate was roughly 20 percent of female nonsmoker patients compared with 8 percent of male nonsmokers.

Smoke-free bars and restaurants in State College, Pa., include the Allen Street Grill, Faccia Luna and Zola New World Bistro.

Recently, smoking has been banned in restaurants and bars in cities such as New York and Philadelphia.

The Pennsylvania Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee recently approved the Clean Indoor Air Act, which would prohibit smoking in restaurants and bars across the state.

Pennsylvania is currently the only state in the Northeast that does not have a comprehensive smoking ban, according to the Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco.

ETC.

Applications to be a member of the Rathskeller Advisory Board are now available in UC 209. Those who would like experience in opportunities such as visual arts, advertising, marketing and photography are encouraged to apply. The deadline to submit applications is March 2.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...