News Briefs

UMNews

School of Communication upgrades its studios

Upgrades to TV studios and control room facilities featuring state-of-the-art digital equipment and technology have brought the School of Communication and UMTV into a new age.

The new high-tech equipment includes new monitors, switchers, audio mixers, video servers and other support devices. It is the same modern technology used by major television networks and local stations all over the country.

“We are very excited about this upgrade-one of many such moves that will strengthen the media capabilities of the university,” Sam L. Grogg, dean of the school, said in a press release.

The school’s studios and control rooms had previously featured analog capabilities. Tom Ortiz, director of operations and engineering who supervised the upgrades, said the digital technology will allow UMTV to produce programs that feature better images and audio quality.

The new digital studios give broadcast journalism and video-film production students at the school an advantage over students at other schools of communication when they enter the competitive media job market. The communications school also plans to implement high-definition television.

The $2.2 million digital upgrade project was completed in early January.

ELSEWhere

Secondhand smoke can impact women more than men

Margaret Micell // Daily Collegian (Penn State)

(U-WIRE) UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Up to 20 percent of women who develop lung cancer have never smoked, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

The study, led by Dr. Heather Wakelee of Stanford University, suggests that secondhand smoke may be to blame.

According to the American Lung Association, secondhand smoke contains hundreds of chemicals known to be toxic or carcinogenic including formaldehyde, benzene, vinyl chloride, arsenic ammonia and hydrogen cyanide. Secondhand smoke is estimated to be the cause of 3,400 lung cancer deaths in the U.S. annually.

The study reported that the lung cancer incidence rate was roughly 20 percent of female nonsmoker patients compared with 8 percent of male nonsmokers.

Smoke-free bars and restaurants in State College, Pa., include the Allen Street Grill, Faccia Luna and Zola New World Bistro.

Recently, smoking has been banned in restaurants and bars in cities such as New York and Philadelphia.

The Pennsylvania Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee recently approved the Clean Indoor Air Act, which would prohibit smoking in restaurants and bars across the state.

Pennsylvania is currently the only state in the Northeast that does not have a comprehensive smoking ban, according to the Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco.

ETC.

Applications to be a member of the Rathskeller Advisory Board are now available in UC 209. Those who would like experience in opportunities such as visual arts, advertising, marketing and photography are encouraged to apply. The deadline to submit applications is March 2.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...