News Briefs

UMNews

School of Communication upgrades its studios

Upgrades to TV studios and control room facilities featuring state-of-the-art digital equipment and technology have brought the School of Communication and UMTV into a new age.

The new high-tech equipment includes new monitors, switchers, audio mixers, video servers and other support devices. It is the same modern technology used by major television networks and local stations all over the country.

“We are very excited about this upgrade-one of many such moves that will strengthen the media capabilities of the university,” Sam L. Grogg, dean of the school, said in a press release.

The school’s studios and control rooms had previously featured analog capabilities. Tom Ortiz, director of operations and engineering who supervised the upgrades, said the digital technology will allow UMTV to produce programs that feature better images and audio quality.

The new digital studios give broadcast journalism and video-film production students at the school an advantage over students at other schools of communication when they enter the competitive media job market. The communications school also plans to implement high-definition television.

The $2.2 million digital upgrade project was completed in early January.

ELSEWhere

Secondhand smoke can impact women more than men

Margaret Micell // Daily Collegian (Penn State)

(U-WIRE) UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Up to 20 percent of women who develop lung cancer have never smoked, according to a recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology.

The study, led by Dr. Heather Wakelee of Stanford University, suggests that secondhand smoke may be to blame.

According to the American Lung Association, secondhand smoke contains hundreds of chemicals known to be toxic or carcinogenic including formaldehyde, benzene, vinyl chloride, arsenic ammonia and hydrogen cyanide. Secondhand smoke is estimated to be the cause of 3,400 lung cancer deaths in the U.S. annually.

The study reported that the lung cancer incidence rate was roughly 20 percent of female nonsmoker patients compared with 8 percent of male nonsmokers.

Smoke-free bars and restaurants in State College, Pa., include the Allen Street Grill, Faccia Luna and Zola New World Bistro.

Recently, smoking has been banned in restaurants and bars in cities such as New York and Philadelphia.

The Pennsylvania Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee recently approved the Clean Indoor Air Act, which would prohibit smoking in restaurants and bars across the state.

Pennsylvania is currently the only state in the Northeast that does not have a comprehensive smoking ban, according to the Pennsylvania Alliance to Control Tobacco.

ETC.

Applications to be a member of the Rathskeller Advisory Board are now available in UC 209. Those who would like experience in opportunities such as visual arts, advertising, marketing and photography are encouraged to apply. The deadline to submit applications is March 2.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...