Med school hires new admins

The University of Miami Miller School of Medicine has filled three administrative positions during the past month. Dr. Ralph L. Sacco, a professor of neurology and epidemiology at Columbia University, was recently named chairman of the Department of Neurology at the Miller School of Medicine.

Last year, Dr. Sacco received the William Feinberg Award for Excellence in Clinical Stroke from the American Heart Association. He will begin his new job in April.

The medical school also named a new chairman of the Department of Medicine. Dr. Marc E. Lippman, a pioneering breast cancer researcher, spent 18 years as a senior investigator at the National Cancer Institute. He is set to begin his new position on May 1.

Only a few days before Dr. Lippman was hired, the medical school announced a new associate dean for faculty diversity and development. Dr. Sheri Keitz, vice chair for diversity in Duke University’s Department of Medicine, will also work as chief of medicine at the Miami VA Medical Center and an advisor on diversity to UM President Donna E. Shalala.

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...