Breach of normal spy movie formula

While most spy thrillers rely on high-speed chases and gunfights to create suspense, “Breach” opts for character development and more mundane situations to entertain its audience. This may sound like a tremendous bore, but director Billy Ray’s meticulous pacing creates an intriguing film.

The story is based off the case of Robert Hanssen (Chris Cooper), an FBI agent who spent the last two decades of his career spying for the Russians.

In 2001, the Bureau was able to arrest Hanssen in the act of espionage largely due to the efforts of Eric O’Neill (Ryan Phillippe), an FBI recruit assigned to work as Hansen’s personal assistant and gain incriminating evidence needed for the case.

Since the majority of the story takes place in FBI offices, director Billy Ray is forced to rely on his characters to keep things moving. The script emphasizes the contradictions in Hanssen’s personality: he was a devout Catholic but made amateur porn videos. The film, however, never tries to explain his motivations for spying.

This is a wise move since psychoanalysis of why a seemingly patriotic individual would turn against his country could have been a tedious and unnecessary subplot. Instead, the film focuses on O’Neill, an aspiring agent who initially admires Hanssen’s dedication and lifestyle before, finding out the depth of his betrayal.

Chris Cooper gives another magnificent performance as Hansen, simultaneously communicating the power and insecurity of Hansen’s character. Phillippe holds his own as O’Neill and has developed into a reliable actor after starting his career in teenage films such as “Cruel Intentions.” Laura Linney is disappointing as Kate Burroughs, O’Neill’s supervisor. Usually a vibrant actress, Linney looks like she’s going through the motions.

Unlike most spy films, which have more plot twists than a Dan Brown novel, “Breach” maintains suspense while following its simple story line, and the result is quite refreshing.

Kevin Craft can be contacted at kevcraft@yahoo.com.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...