what happens when our honeymoon phase ends?

I am in a relationship with a guy who is just as busy as I am. We used to make a lot of time for each other (i.e. SPEND ALL OF OUR TIME TOGETHER), but lately, things just seem so different, and I fear that our end may be in sight. Is this a realistic conclusion to think that our relationship is on its way to being over because we can’t make time for each other? We haven’t been together for all that long (only 6 months) but I thought that I could see a real future with this guy, and lately, I feel like I’m being ignored. Do you think that we are ending our “honeymoon” phase with one another? Is there even a point to being in a relationship when the honeymoon is over?

Too sensitive?

Dear Reader,

First of all, I think it’s very natural for those initial sparks you feel at the beginning of a romance-the butterflies in your stomach, the nightly four hour phone calls, that can’t-keep-your-hands-off-each-other feeling-to die down a bit. As exciting as that honeymoon period is, it’s also not very healthy to spend ALL your time with just one person (you don’t want to be the girl that lost all her friends because she ditched them when she got a boyfriend).

That said, there is a healthy balance that should be maintained in a relationship, and a drastic change in interaction can be very painful. But let me ask you this: Why is it that he’s ignoring you? Is it that he can’t make time for you, or won’t? Are you both super busy? Or is it possible that the intensity of your constant togetherness freaked him out? Often, college aged boys (and I’m speaking generally) get spooked when a relationship gets heavy so quickly.

The best way to find the answers to these questions is by talking to your boyfriend (shocking, I know). Explain that you’re feeling hurt by his inattentiveness, and ask him if he’s feeling smothered. Maybe he’ll say that there’s absolutely nothing wrong, apologize a thousand times for ignoring you, and buy you a dozen roses and a box of gourmet chocolates.

Maybe he’ll admit to being a little scared and unsure of where the relationship is headed. If that’s the case, perhaps you can compromise: you’ll agree to take the relationship down a notch, and he’ll make an effort to pay a little more attention to you.

A healthy balance is what you’re looking for here (which, alas, is easier said than done). Either way, I think you need to carefully examine whether or not it’s worth your time and energy (and feelings) to save this relationship.

Best of Luck!

Fact of the Day: 76% of women and only 53% of men say they would only have sex if they were in love their partner.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...