what happens when our honeymoon phase ends?

I am in a relationship with a guy who is just as busy as I am. We used to make a lot of time for each other (i.e. SPEND ALL OF OUR TIME TOGETHER), but lately, things just seem so different, and I fear that our end may be in sight. Is this a realistic conclusion to think that our relationship is on its way to being over because we can’t make time for each other? We haven’t been together for all that long (only 6 months) but I thought that I could see a real future with this guy, and lately, I feel like I’m being ignored. Do you think that we are ending our “honeymoon” phase with one another? Is there even a point to being in a relationship when the honeymoon is over?

Too sensitive?

Dear Reader,

First of all, I think it’s very natural for those initial sparks you feel at the beginning of a romance-the butterflies in your stomach, the nightly four hour phone calls, that can’t-keep-your-hands-off-each-other feeling-to die down a bit. As exciting as that honeymoon period is, it’s also not very healthy to spend ALL your time with just one person (you don’t want to be the girl that lost all her friends because she ditched them when she got a boyfriend).

That said, there is a healthy balance that should be maintained in a relationship, and a drastic change in interaction can be very painful. But let me ask you this: Why is it that he’s ignoring you? Is it that he can’t make time for you, or won’t? Are you both super busy? Or is it possible that the intensity of your constant togetherness freaked him out? Often, college aged boys (and I’m speaking generally) get spooked when a relationship gets heavy so quickly.

The best way to find the answers to these questions is by talking to your boyfriend (shocking, I know). Explain that you’re feeling hurt by his inattentiveness, and ask him if he’s feeling smothered. Maybe he’ll say that there’s absolutely nothing wrong, apologize a thousand times for ignoring you, and buy you a dozen roses and a box of gourmet chocolates.

Maybe he’ll admit to being a little scared and unsure of where the relationship is headed. If that’s the case, perhaps you can compromise: you’ll agree to take the relationship down a notch, and he’ll make an effort to pay a little more attention to you.

A healthy balance is what you’re looking for here (which, alas, is easier said than done). Either way, I think you need to carefully examine whether or not it’s worth your time and energy (and feelings) to save this relationship.

Best of Luck!

Fact of the Day: 76% of women and only 53% of men say they would only have sex if they were in love their partner.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...