UM offers free Vista download

Within a week of the release of Microsoft’s new operating system on Jan. 30, the university began offering free downloadable upgrades for Windows Vista and Microsoft Office 2007.

Windows Vista is the successor to Windows XP, which has been on the market for almost six years. The software may be found at their Microsoft website, miami.edu/microsoft. Miami’s Microsoft website warns students that the update process should only be attempted by users with enough knowledge and experience to work through the potential problems that might be faced, so proceed with caution.

Beth VanBoening, an accountant and licensing and contracts specialist for UM’s Technology Product Center, explained the University of Miami and Microsoft are in a campus agreement, which allows them to offer the upgrades for free, while Vista retails for around $250 in stores.

The university provides a “student option,” which means that any full time UM student may download and install the latest Microsoft software.

VanBoening said this is all funded by donations from the provost, in addition to contributions from deans of the different college, noting that the price of Vista and Office 2007 is not bundled into tuition.

She does offer a note of caution though, regarding upgrading.

“We are not necessarily recommending that you upgrade your system to Vista, but rather we are making the software available to you should you choose to upgrade,” she said. “There is still some software that is not compatible with the new operating system, which is part of the reason why many businesses have not yet made the switch.”

For those who decide to upgrade, students are told to check that their computer meets the minimum system requirements, which have been greatly increased since XP. A DVD burner is needed to burn the setup disc. The university is currently offering a version called Vista Enterprise, although Microsoft plans to release the Vista Ultimate upgrade to universities sometime around May of this year-Microsoft’s flagship version.

Harrison may be contacted at h.hoffman1@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...