Sports Briefs

Football: Spring football to start Mar. 6

Head Coach Randy Shannon will get his first crack as a head coach on Mar. 6th. Although he has gone through the offseason work of a college head coach, this will be his first outgoing on the field with his team.

The spring schedule includes 13 practices, from Mar. 6 to April 6, with one scrimmage on Mar.30. The spring schedule will be wrapped up on Saturday, April 7 at 10:00 a.m. at the Orange Bowl.

The game will provide fans and the media, although not a definitive portrayal of the new team, a glimpse of what can be expected next season.

Women’s Tennis: Hurricanes down No. 22 Texas

The No. 8 Hurricanes’ women’s tennis team slipped by the No. 22 University of Texas Longhorns.

The Hurricanes struck first, as the doubles teams of Audrey Banada and Romy Farah and Audra Cohen and Caren Seenauth both cruised past their opponents. On the singles front, Cohen, Banada and Gina Sabatino all overcame their opponents in straight sets.

The 4-3 victory propelled the Hurricanes to a season best 5-1 record.

Men’s Tennis: Hurricanes drop two in a row

The No. 26 University of Miami men’s tennis team dropped its second straight match at the USTA/ITA Indoor Nationals. The losses, for the 14th-seeded Hurricanes, came against 3-seeded UCLA and 11th-seeded Oklahoma State, respectively.

Against the No. 6 UCLA Bruins, the Hurricanes were unearthed, losing 6-1. The Hurricanes saw success in only two matches, as Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian came out on top in their doubles match and Josh Cohen was victorious in singles.

As for the Oklahoma State match, the Hurricanes started out strong, but they were unable to hold on to the early 2-0 lead, losing 4-3. In doubles, the pairs of Luigi D’Agord and Cohen and Vallverdu and Subramanian were both successful. While only D’Agord and Vallverdu were successful in their singles escapades.

The losses dropped the Hurricanes to 4-3 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.