SG Presidential Election 2007

Click here for the full Election Guide in PDF format

Thirteen.

That’s the percentage of students who voted in last year’s Student Government presidential election.

Whether the student body realizes it or not, the SG president has the unique ability to effect change on this campus like no other single student can. From leading the way to getting the Ibis Ride to the Grove to improved dining services and free laundry, a number of the luxuries we as students take for granted on a daily basis were implemented in large part because of the work of past and present presidential administrations. Which is why it is important that every student votes: It can matter.

Being informed is the best way to increase the number of students who vote, and the only way to increase the number of students who vote responsibly.

To do our part, The Miami Hurricane conducted interviews with the three presidential candidates and the other members of their tickets last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Editors spoke with the entire ticket before talking to the presidential candidate alone.

The features below were compiled from the information taken from these interviews, covering selected biographical and election-related topics.

Included is a concise overview of each candidate’s top three platforms they would pursue, if elected, as well as a list of the rest of their central ideas. You will also find a brief summary of the candidates’ previous experience in on-campus organizations and leadership positions as well as answers to selected questions in their own words.

A full explanation of the ideas and various qualifications of these candidates could fill the pages of this entire issue. Instead, this guide strives to present the essentials in a clear, concise manner and readable fashion.

This is only a beginning. The rest is up to you.

Related articles on SG Elections 2007

Commission hopes to boost voter turnout next week
SG Presidental Election Guide
Editorial Endorsement: Vote Lowenthal for SG President

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...