SG Presidential Election 2007

Click here for the full Election Guide in PDF format

Thirteen.

That’s the percentage of students who voted in last year’s Student Government presidential election.

Whether the student body realizes it or not, the SG president has the unique ability to effect change on this campus like no other single student can. From leading the way to getting the Ibis Ride to the Grove to improved dining services and free laundry, a number of the luxuries we as students take for granted on a daily basis were implemented in large part because of the work of past and present presidential administrations. Which is why it is important that every student votes: It can matter.

Being informed is the best way to increase the number of students who vote, and the only way to increase the number of students who vote responsibly.

To do our part, The Miami Hurricane conducted interviews with the three presidential candidates and the other members of their tickets last Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Editors spoke with the entire ticket before talking to the presidential candidate alone.

The features below were compiled from the information taken from these interviews, covering selected biographical and election-related topics.

Included is a concise overview of each candidate’s top three platforms they would pursue, if elected, as well as a list of the rest of their central ideas. You will also find a brief summary of the candidates’ previous experience in on-campus organizations and leadership positions as well as answers to selected questions in their own words.

A full explanation of the ideas and various qualifications of these candidates could fill the pages of this entire issue. Instead, this guide strives to present the essentials in a clear, concise manner and readable fashion.

This is only a beginning. The rest is up to you.

Related articles on SG Elections 2007

Commission hopes to boost voter turnout next week
SG Presidental Election Guide
Editorial Endorsement: Vote Lowenthal for SG President

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...