Men’s Basketball: Hurricane men endure another heartbreaking loss on the court

Few can doubt the heart of the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team, but, game after game, it seems like that heart gets shattered into millions of pieces. The Wake Forest Demon Deacons (13-13, 4-9 ACC) did not fail, for the second time this season, to help in the heartbreak process.

Senior center Kyle Visser’s ability to punish the Hurricanes down low and sophomore guard Harvey Hale’s ability to knock down threes and free throws late in the game helped the Demon Deacons hand the Hurricanes their sixteenth loss of the season.

The 74-69 loss was yet another tough ACC loss for the Hurricanes (10-16, 3-9 ACC).

The team, behind stellar second half play from sophomore guard Jack McClinton, sophomore forward Brian Asbury and freshman forward Dwayne Collins, had kept tight for much of the latter part of the second half. Yet, despite McClinton’s ability to make it rain three pointers, the Miami frontcourt’s readiness to grab offensive boards and hit second chance buckets, and the large turnover disparity favoring the Hurricanes, the team still came up short.

A major concern, which Miami has been unable to find a solution to, is the team’s inability to force their opponents into taking bad shots, as it has become almost an expectation that opposing teams will shoot better than 50 percent from the field and from behind the arc.

Wake Forest did exactly this, as they shot 57.9 percent from the field and 53.8 percent from downtown.

It might seem a little contradictory, but the Hurricanes did play good team defense. They forced 18 turnovers and showed quickness when closing out open opponents while playing in a zone defense. Effectively, Miami made the Demon Deacons work for almost every shot.

Problematically, when the ball handler was able to get inside the zone it caused the defense to collapse and leave one of Wake Forest’s big men open for a layup. Much of this can be attributed to Miami’s depleted frontcourt, but if Miami stands any chance of doing damage in the ACC Tournament, they will have to do something about being more physical down low.

An additional issue that has plagued the team is their inability to play for 40 minutes. At times it seems that team has forgot how to play defense, as opponents run up and down the court, hitting open shots and getting easy dunks and layups. On other occasions, the Hurricanes hit extended scoring and field goal droughts, leaving the team in formidable situations.

On a positive note, the team did see the return of one of its big men, as Jimmy Graham registered two points and two rebounds in 12 minutes of action.

Additionally, the Hurricanes can be excited about the resurgence of McClinton, the development of Collins, the growth of Asbury and the consistent play from guards Denis Clemente and Anthony Harris, as these things should prove to be quite useful when the Hurricanes make their final push this season.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...