Hurricanes avoid a Gator sweep with Sunday win

The University of Miami baseball team ended their three-game series with the University of Florida on a high note, winning 10-7 on Sunday after dropping the first two games of the weekend.

First baseman Yonder Alonso and second baseman Jemile Weeks combined for seven of the Hurricanes’ 13 hits in the victory to relinquish an otherwise disappointing trip to Gainesville, Fla.

Miami entered the series with great momentum after a three-game sweep of UCLA last week at Mark Light Field.

Pitching proved to be a serious problem for the ‘Canes throughout the series, who allowed SRA a total of 21 runs.

On Friday night, the Hurricanes committed a season-high five errors in a 7-2 loss SRA. Head Coach Jim Morris called it as poor of a performance as he had ever seen from the Hurricanes. Third baseman Gus Menendez was responsible for two throwing errors, one that led to an eventual run for the Gators.

Starting pitcher Scott Maine retired the first nine batters he faced, only to yield a solo homerun to UF shortstop Jon Townsend on his first pitch in the fourth inning. Maine gave up three more runs before being taken out with one out in the fourth inning.

The Hurricanes also failed to capitalize with their bats, recording only four hits all game. Down 4-0 in the top of the fifth with two men on and two out, the ‘Canes squandered an opportunity to get back into the game with a strikeout and a double-play ball to end the inning.

Miami’s woes continued Saturday afternoon, as the Gators downed the Hurricanes 7-5. Alonso hit his fourth homerun of the year to put the ‘Canes up 2-0 in the first inning, but failed to deliver in the clutch during the ninth. With the ‘Canes trailing by two runs with two outs and one runner on, Alonso lined out to left field to end the game.

Pitcher Danny Gil started for UM in the second game of the series and held the Gators to two runs on five hits in three innings, but south paw pitcher Eric Erickson came on in relief and allowed five runs.

The Hurricanes were able to salvage the series on Sunday, with a standout performance from Weeks, who went four for five and was a homerun shy of hitting for the cycle. Alonso’s bat also stayed hot, as he recorded three RBIs for the second straight game.

Florida slugger Matt LaPorta led the Gators with two homeruns and five RBIs. With two men on base in the bottom of the ninth, LaPorta represented the tying run, but grounded into a game-ending double play.

For the first time all weekend, the Hurricanes were able to stay consistent at the plate, scoring a season-high ten runs. Their pitching staff struggled once again and they were forced to use four different arms in the game, but whenever the Gators got close, the ‘Canes were able to get the clutch hit to extend the lead.

The Hurricanes move back to .500 with the victory and hold a 4-4 record. Next weekend they host Elon College at Mark Light Field for a three game series.

Zack may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...