Hurricanes avoid a Gator sweep with Sunday win

The University of Miami baseball team ended their three-game series with the University of Florida on a high note, winning 10-7 on Sunday after dropping the first two games of the weekend.

First baseman Yonder Alonso and second baseman Jemile Weeks combined for seven of the Hurricanes’ 13 hits in the victory to relinquish an otherwise disappointing trip to Gainesville, Fla.

Miami entered the series with great momentum after a three-game sweep of UCLA last week at Mark Light Field.

Pitching proved to be a serious problem for the ‘Canes throughout the series, who allowed SRA a total of 21 runs.

On Friday night, the Hurricanes committed a season-high five errors in a 7-2 loss SRA. Head Coach Jim Morris called it as poor of a performance as he had ever seen from the Hurricanes. Third baseman Gus Menendez was responsible for two throwing errors, one that led to an eventual run for the Gators.

Starting pitcher Scott Maine retired the first nine batters he faced, only to yield a solo homerun to UF shortstop Jon Townsend on his first pitch in the fourth inning. Maine gave up three more runs before being taken out with one out in the fourth inning.

The Hurricanes also failed to capitalize with their bats, recording only four hits all game. Down 4-0 in the top of the fifth with two men on and two out, the ‘Canes squandered an opportunity to get back into the game with a strikeout and a double-play ball to end the inning.

Miami’s woes continued Saturday afternoon, as the Gators downed the Hurricanes 7-5. Alonso hit his fourth homerun of the year to put the ‘Canes up 2-0 in the first inning, but failed to deliver in the clutch during the ninth. With the ‘Canes trailing by two runs with two outs and one runner on, Alonso lined out to left field to end the game.

Pitcher Danny Gil started for UM in the second game of the series and held the Gators to two runs on five hits in three innings, but south paw pitcher Eric Erickson came on in relief and allowed five runs.

The Hurricanes were able to salvage the series on Sunday, with a standout performance from Weeks, who went four for five and was a homerun shy of hitting for the cycle. Alonso’s bat also stayed hot, as he recorded three RBIs for the second straight game.

Florida slugger Matt LaPorta led the Gators with two homeruns and five RBIs. With two men on base in the bottom of the ninth, LaPorta represented the tying run, but grounded into a game-ending double play.

For the first time all weekend, the Hurricanes were able to stay consistent at the plate, scoring a season-high ten runs. Their pitching staff struggled once again and they were forced to use four different arms in the game, but whenever the Gators got close, the ‘Canes were able to get the clutch hit to extend the lead.

The Hurricanes move back to .500 with the victory and hold a 4-4 record. Next weekend they host Elon College at Mark Light Field for a three game series.

Zack may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The University of Miami soccer team closes out action in the Tar Heel state with a match against thi ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami Hurricanes fell in their tri-meet with Georgia Tech and Notre Dame Saturday afternoon, dro ...