Hugh Grant’s comeback as an 1980s pop singer worth the cash

Maybe I’m just a sucker for a charming British accent, but I just couldn’t get enough of Hugh Grant’s witty one-liners and adorably dorky dance moves in his new movie, “Music and Lyrics,” also starring Drew Barrymore.

Grant plays Alex Fletcher, a has-been from a fictional 1980s boy band Pop, who now spends his days performing at amusement parks and high school reunions. An opportunity arises for a career comeback when wildly popular, Britney (pre K-Fed)-esqe superstar, Cora Corman, asks him to write a hit song for her. Problem is, he hasn’t been able to write a good song since Pop split up, taking his lyricist to a top solo career as he drifted along on the bottom.

Luckily, his quirky plant lady, Sophie Fisher (Barrymore) has a way with words and agrees to help. Somewhat predictable (as most romantic comedies tend to be), they wind up falling for each other; fine until they have conflicting opinions about the artistic liberties Cora’s taken to sex-up their sweet ballad. Now Alex must win Sophie back so they can continue making beautiful music together.

“Music and Lyrics” is by no means the greatest movie ever made, but it is certainly a good time. Cheesy in all the right places and good ol’ fun in all the others; you’re sure to find yourself humming the catchy tunes all the way home or maybe even singing along during the show. And it’s worth the $7.50 just to see Grant with fluffy 1980s hair, gyrating his pelvis in skin-tight jeans.

Barrymore isn’t quite as entertaining; her performance is fine, charmingly flakey, although personally I find her acting a bit awkward. Grant gets more laughs, he’s sarcastic and sweet, but the chemistry between the two falls flat-somehow it’s not believable that they’re a natural pair. And while Haley Bennet’s platinum hair and leggy figure will likely propel her into the limelight with starlets like La Lohan and Mischa Barton, her performance as pop princess Cora Corman is even more unnatural, somewhat stiff and robotic (although part of that is the character’s bazaar personality).

Overall “Music and Lyrics” is an endearing film about unexpected romance. It’s a lovely date movie-funny enough for the men, yummy enough (i.e. Grant’s backside) for the women. If you’ve had enough of lackluster performances and snide remarks from a less-endearing Brit on American Idol, then get off your couch and get your fix of sappy pop goodness with “Music and Lyrics.”

Dani can be contacted at d.mcnally@umiami.edu.

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...