Yonder Alonso: the superstitious baseball player

A lot of kids grow up playing sports, especially baseball. They play on little league teams, with parents in the stands cheering. Sophomore first baseman Yonder Alonso did just the same, but he was also lucky enough to watch his father play catcher and first base professionally in Cuba. Alonso spent his childhood cheering on his father. Now the tables have turned, and Alonso’s father is the one who sits in the stands and watches his son start for the Miami Hurricanes.

At the age of eight, Alonso moved to Hialeah, Fla. For years he played ball with current teammates, such as pitcher Jason Santana and second baseman Jemile Weeks.

“We’ve grown up together,” Alonso said. “We know each other and how we play.”

Alonso admits he didn’t know much about college baseball growing up, but he knew he wanted to get recruited for a respected Division I team. He and Weeks, among others, pushed each other to play better from a young age and the result of their strong fundamental knowledge of the game and advanced skill level is a spot on the No.5 team in the country.

But landing a spot in a top collegiate club isn’t the only thing that Alonso has already accomplished. As a freshman, Alonso was part of the ‘Canes team that beat ‘Ole Miss in the Super Regionals, a significant win that led Miami to its 22nd College World Series berth. He went 1-4 in that game with one RBI.

“I felt like that was something huge for me,” Alonso said. “Coming here, the goal was to play in the College World Series, and last year we did that.”

With a roster that has promising young talent like the ‘Canes do, it will most likely not be Alonso’s last trip to Omaha.

On top of his performances on the field, Alonso has also proved that he can meet the academic challenges at the University. He was named a UM Bookbuster after achieving a GPA above 3.0 in his first semester.

Like many athletes, Alonso is quite superstitious when it comes to his sport.

“Oh man, we could talk about [superstitions]all day,” he said.

After the win against ‘Ole Miss, Alonso told his parents to watch the College World Series games with the same exact people at home, believing that their position during the game had something to do with his success.

Every time Alonso warms up, he does the same stretches. He takes the same road to campus on the way to a game and parks in the same spot. Unless, that is, he has a bad game and then his whole routine changes. He’ll pick a different parking spot or maybe avoid US-1 on the way to school and take a completely different route.

So far this season, however, Alonso has been parking in the same spot. He is 4-6 with a home run in Miami’s two losses and maintains a batting average of .667, showing that he can be a threat in the middle of the ‘Canes lineup.

Despite the excitement of his young college career, Alonso remains focused on his future goals.

“Of course, I think every baseball player [has aspirations in the Major Leagues],” Alonso said. “I want that chance. It’s very hard, but I feel like I could do it.”

Yonder’s 2007 Stats
G AB R HR RBI AVG OPS
5 13 6 3 7 .615 2.016
statistics in bold denote team leader

Patrick Pineyro may be contacted at p.pineyro@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...