UM Police Presents Public Safety Career Day – February 24th – 1 to 3pm.

The University of Miami Police Department presents “Public Safety Career Day,” a Police, Fire and Rescue presentation, demonstration and recruiting event on Saturday, February 24, 2007 from 1 to 3 pm. The event will take place on the field at the corner of Granada and Ponce de Leon Boulevards. Police, Fire, Rescue and Specialty units from the University of Miami, City of Coral Gables, City of Miami, Miami-Dade County, Florida Highway Patrol and other agencies (including the Federal Government) will be present to show their stuff. Specialty units attending the event with equipment and representatives will include: Special Ops. (Blackhawk Helicopter Landing) Air Rescue (second Helicopter Landing), SWAT Team, K-9, Marine Patrol, Bomb Squad, Crime Scene, Heavy Rescue, Hazmat, Urban Search and Rescue, Advanced Life Support, Armored Personnel Carrier, Ladder Truck, Service Truck, UM CERT Team, and Personnel and Recruiting from all departments. If you have ever considered a career in public safety, this event is for you. If you want meet some interesting, skilled professionals and see some amazing equipment, this event is for you. Don’t miss out on this truly rare experience. Further information is available through the UM Police website at www.miami.edu/police or the Crime Prevention Office at 305-284-1105.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...