Sports Briefs

Football

Eight Hurricanes make ACC Academic Team

Hurricane football can be proud of its eight 2006 ACC Academic Football Team selections. They earn UM the honor of leading the ACC for most conference selections to the team.

To be eligible for the honor, a player must maintain a 3.0 GPA during his academic career or earn a 3.0 during the 2006 fall semester.

The players who earned the honor are guard Andrew Bain, offensive tackle Jason Fox, tight end Greg Olsen, place kicker Jon Peattie, safety Kenny Phillips, linebacker Darryl Sharpton, wide receiver Sam Shields and center Anthony Wollschlager.

Men’s Tennis

Hurricanes down UCF 6-1

The University of Miami Hurricanes recently downed the University of Central Florida Golden Knights 6-1.

Miami came away winning five of their six singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu, Josh Cohen, Vivek Subramanian and J.C. Whitner all came away with victories.

Additionally, the Hurricanes won two of three doubles matches, as the pairs of D’Agord and Cohen and Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega both came away with wins.

With the win, Miami improves to 4-1.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The northeastern Italian city, built in a lagoon and growing increasingly more susceptible to sea le ...

Climate scientist Katharine Mach is researching ways to adapt to our changing climate, including how ...

Thomas J. Meade, the founder of four biotech companies, launches the Frost Institute of Chemistry an ...

Frost School of Music’s Opera Program set to debut production of “L'enfant et les sortileges.” ...

During the second workshop, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership created a brave space for s ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...

University of Miami sophomore Brevin Jordan was selected as one of eight semifinalists for the 2019 ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced Miami's 2020 schedule on Tuesday a ...

The only school to win the tournament twice, Miami men's basketball team is set to compete in t ...

Mike Harley arrived in Coral Gables as a high school All-American expected to make an immediate impa ...