‘Hannibal Rising’ is just finger food

Creating an effective prequel is problematic. With an iconic character like Hannibal Lecter, the task becomes more daunting. Not only must the story provide an adequate preface to Lecter’s legend, it must also be satisfying. “Hannibal Rising” attempts to shed some light on the beginnings of this demon, but falls short.

Opening in war-torn Lithuania, the film details Hannibal’s life as a young boy through his precocious adolescence in France. Young Hannibal (Gaspard Ulliel) witnesses a tragic event at the hands of a group of locals and manages to escape. Hannibal goes through his teenage years haunted by his past and vows to get revenge on those responsible.

“Hannibal Rising” is a tough nut to crack. On one hand, it succeeds marginally as a simple revenge thriller. As a two hour diversion, it fits the bill. But it also has its past (or, in this case, future) leaking through the seams of every frame. The film is so concerned with showing the development of the killer that it glosses over the person. The closest we get to knowing what he’s thinking are multiple shots of his head, slightly downturned, with a malevolent smile on his face. Sure, Hannibal is given a reason to kill, but the film gives us no insight into his mind because it is too busy showing him maiming one of the disposable villains. The film seems to rush through the story.

Lecter is part of our collective consciousness because he is more than a sadistic animal. He is human, that’s what makes him so chilling. If he were an incoherent lunatic, he would have faded long ago and no one would know what went well with fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Those interested in the inner-workings of the psyche of a legendary killer will find the book much more fulfilling. The film distances itself from Hannibal’s mind and instead concentrates on his evil smile and eating habits.

Gabe Habash can be contacted at s.habash1@umiami.edu.

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...