“Gay” Facebook pranks

The scene is hardly unfamiliar. You accidentally left your Facebook signed in, and your boy is now using the computer. Much to his delight, he has complete and unadulterated access to all that is your Facebook. A world of mischief lies at his fingertips. He can message that girl you like and say something really loser. Or he could make you “very conservative” and list “Left Behind” as your favorite book.

But we all know none of that is going to happen. He is going to do the same thing that everyone’s boy does when they get on someone else’s Facebook. He is going to make you interested in men. We all know it doesn’t stop there. Advanced Search: Sex: Male. Interested In: Men. Add to friends.

Oh man, he got you good. Now everyone thinks you’re gay. Not only that, but now you are friends with all the gays on Facebook. That’s like the worst thing ever! That’s the ultimate insult! No girl will ever bed you again! By the time you find out, it’ll be too late! Your boy got you real good.

Are you serious? The point is not whether this is funny (it’s not). Different people have different senses of humor. Hell, some people even thought “Epic Movie” was funny. Maybe you and your boy thought making you a gay is a roaring good time, but I’m sick of it. I’m not stupid, I know what’s going on, and I’m not two-dimensional. If you think that I’m going to fall for this crap and help you humiliate your signed-in friend, you’ve got another thing coming.

I refuse to be the punch line of your best impression of Ashton Kutcher. Don’t try to turn something that’s awesome about me (gay) into something with which you punk your friend. No matter how much you put gay down, I will never be ashamed.

I guess I’m revealing my hand here by offering a glimpse inside the radical homosexual agenda, which comprises solely of people asking to be judged by the content of their character rather than to whom they are sexually attracted. Basic human respect seems like such a simple request and when put in the literal context, is something that should inarguably be afforded to every member of the human race.

What if, however, this “respect” thing means you can’t use homophobia as the set up and the gays on campus as the crux of a prank? What if basic human respect even meant speaking up when you hear someone call something that sucks “gay?” In the practical sense, is it so easily affordable? Of course it’s not easy. Make your mama proud and do it anyway.

Since the obvious moral of respecting a fellow ‘Cane might fall on deaf ears and since I probably won’t be able to convince some of you that, no, changing your friend’s orientation to gay really isn’t funny, let’s try for a simpler point: logout of your Facebook before you let your jackass friends use your computer.

Chris Fisher is a senior majoring in motion pictures and political science. He can be contacted on Facebook or at c.fisher2@umiami.edu. “Gay” is not a synonym for “stupid”.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...