Football: Putting the pieces together

Reports out of the Hurricane camp indicate that Head Coach Randy Shannon will soon name secondary coach Tim Walton the new defensive coordinator.

Walton has spent the last three seasons with the Hurricanes, in which he has proven to be one of the nation’s top defensive back coaches in the country. During his tenure, Walton has helped produce three All-Americans and two Freshman All-Americans, and he has helped the Hurricane secondary remain one of the nation’s top pass defenses. Additionally, in 2005 Walton helped the Hurricanes become the nation’s top pass defense.

Before coming to Miami, Walton was the defensive backs coach for the Louisiana State Tigers, where he helped LSU win a National Title. Before that, he spent a season at Syracuse, two at Memphis and five at Bowling Green. In each tenure, Walton has helped produce one of the nation’s better secondaries.

Besides promoting Walton, the Hurricanes are also expected to add former Hurricane and ex-NFL veteran Micheal Barrow as the team’s linebacker coach. While playing at Miami, Barrow was a standout, All-American linebacker. Additionally, Barrow spent 13 seasons in the NFL. If Barrow is hired as the new linebacker’s coach, the ‘Cane’s coaching staff will be one defensive assistant from being complete.

The announcements of the promotion of Walton, the hiring of Barrow and the naming of the final defensive assistant are expected to come by the end of this week.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...