Football: Putting the pieces together

Reports out of the Hurricane camp indicate that Head Coach Randy Shannon will soon name secondary coach Tim Walton the new defensive coordinator.

Walton has spent the last three seasons with the Hurricanes, in which he has proven to be one of the nation’s top defensive back coaches in the country. During his tenure, Walton has helped produce three All-Americans and two Freshman All-Americans, and he has helped the Hurricane secondary remain one of the nation’s top pass defenses. Additionally, in 2005 Walton helped the Hurricanes become the nation’s top pass defense.

Before coming to Miami, Walton was the defensive backs coach for the Louisiana State Tigers, where he helped LSU win a National Title. Before that, he spent a season at Syracuse, two at Memphis and five at Bowling Green. In each tenure, Walton has helped produce one of the nation’s better secondaries.

Besides promoting Walton, the Hurricanes are also expected to add former Hurricane and ex-NFL veteran Micheal Barrow as the team’s linebacker coach. While playing at Miami, Barrow was a standout, All-American linebacker. Additionally, Barrow spent 13 seasons in the NFL. If Barrow is hired as the new linebacker’s coach, the ‘Cane’s coaching staff will be one defensive assistant from being complete.

The announcements of the promotion of Walton, the hiring of Barrow and the naming of the final defensive assistant are expected to come by the end of this week.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

So what’s UM getting with this recruiting class, among players already committed, most or all of who ...

On the eve of the early signing period, the new University of Miami defensive coordinators met the m ...

The early signing period is finally here and the Miami Hurricanes’ class is, at least for now, disap ...

Photo Gallery: UM football availabiilty | Tuesday, December 18, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Zach McCloud said he never doubted whether he would return to the Miami Hurricanes for his senior se ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

Things have changed in Coral Gables since the end of the regular season, but there will be a familia ...

Canes and Houston Baptist play at 7 p.m. Wednesday at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24/23 Miami women's basketball team will begin play at the Florida Sunshine Classic in ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Miami women's basketball team is ranked in the top 25 of both major national polls this wee ...