Football: Putting the pieces together

Reports out of the Hurricane camp indicate that Head Coach Randy Shannon will soon name secondary coach Tim Walton the new defensive coordinator.

Walton has spent the last three seasons with the Hurricanes, in which he has proven to be one of the nation’s top defensive back coaches in the country. During his tenure, Walton has helped produce three All-Americans and two Freshman All-Americans, and he has helped the Hurricane secondary remain one of the nation’s top pass defenses. Additionally, in 2005 Walton helped the Hurricanes become the nation’s top pass defense.

Before coming to Miami, Walton was the defensive backs coach for the Louisiana State Tigers, where he helped LSU win a National Title. Before that, he spent a season at Syracuse, two at Memphis and five at Bowling Green. In each tenure, Walton has helped produce one of the nation’s better secondaries.

Besides promoting Walton, the Hurricanes are also expected to add former Hurricane and ex-NFL veteran Micheal Barrow as the team’s linebacker coach. While playing at Miami, Barrow was a standout, All-American linebacker. Additionally, Barrow spent 13 seasons in the NFL. If Barrow is hired as the new linebacker’s coach, the ‘Cane’s coaching staff will be one defensive assistant from being complete.

The announcements of the promotion of Walton, the hiring of Barrow and the naming of the final defensive assistant are expected to come by the end of this week.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...