Sports Briefs

Men’s Track
Scheiner breaks school record

Senior Jonathan Scheiner broke the then-standing University of Miami indoor record for the 5,000 meters. Scheiner recorded a time of 14:52.13 in the 5,000 meters race at the Iowa State Classic, breaking former Hurricane Chris Miller’s record of 14:54.07.

The time was good enough to earn Scheiner16th place overall in the competition.

Men’s Tennis
Miami downs USF

On their way to defeating the University of South Florida 5-2, the No. 11 University of Miami men’s tennis team swept all three doubles matches and won their top four singles matches.

The doubles teams of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian and Hector Nieto and Barnabas Carrega all picked up victories in their matches.

Additionally, D’Agord, Vallverdu, Cohen, and Subramanian all picked up victories in their singles matches, each winning in straight sets.

The win improves the Hurricanes to 3-1 on the season.

Soccer
Hurricanes sign eight

The women’s soccer program announced the signing of eight athletes to National Letter of Intents.

The class includes two-time New Jersey Player of the Year Brittney Steinbruch. Steinbruch, a midfielder/forward, led her team to a state title in 2006 while registering 63 goals and 63 assists in her final three years at Ramapo High School. Joining her is defender Brittney Macdonald, a 2006 NSCAA/Adidas Girls All-American.

The class also includes midfielder/forward Lauren Singer, defender Lauren Kaiser, midfielder Katie Oddo, defender Jill Satterthwaite, midfielder Leigh Van Lear and goalkeeper Kyle Kocarek.

Women’s Tennis
Hurricanes drop to eighth

In the latest ITA Rankings, the Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team was dropped to eighth, after having been fifth to start the season.

After falling to Northwestern at the USTA/ITA National Indoor Championships, the team went on to beat No. 10 Baylor and finish 2-1 in the competition. The victory against Baylor marked the 100th win for Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews.

The Hurricanes, who currently sit at 4-1, will look to reassert themselves when No. 20 Texas visits Coral Gables on Feb. 16.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

TikTok’s rapid rise in popularity presents a business opportunity, as well as concerns about privacy ...

Miller School of Medicine professor JoNell Potter testifies before a Congressional subcommittee on h ...

A Fall Commencement speaker encourages graduates to “drink in the eternal foundation of happiness” b ...

As more hazardous hurricanes affect more disadvantaged populations, climate and public health expert ...

University of Miami atmospheric scientist Elliot Atlas is part of a NASA-funded project studying how ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.