News Briefs

UMNews

University names new vice president for government affairs

The University of Miami announced Friday that Rudy Fernandez has been appointed as the new vice president for government affairs. He began his new post Monday.

“I am delighted to announce Fernandez’s appointment to the University of Miami,” said President Donna E. Shalala in a press release. “He comes to us with a wealth of experience, knowledge and leadership in government affairs.”

In his new position, Fernandez will serve as the principal liaison between the university and federal, state and local government offices and legislative bodies.

“It’s a homecoming for me,” he said in a press release.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...