Mad “bros” on this campus

So it was late one night last week at the Wellness Center when my trendy, hipster apartment mates and I were looking for a court to ball on after getting kicked off another by some oversized-intramural frat boys. Before long, we found an open half-court allowing us to relieve our built-up stress through some friendly three-on-three.

However, after playing a few games, we found ourselves surprised to hear the guys on the opposite side of the court asking us to move our game elsewhere so that they could have the whole court at their disposal. The problem was that there were no other open courts, au contraire to what they had us believing.

After previously being designated as the diasporas of the Wellness Center, we refused to leave and resumed our game. Apparently they didn’t understand our decision and consequently tried to pull a blitzkrieg on us by playing full court without our consent. Meanwhile, all we could do was stare at them with bewilderment, for this was truly remarkable.

My first thought was nothing, because I couldn’t comprehend the incredible stupidity of their act, but my second was, “Wow, there are mad bros on this campus.”

If the term “bro” in its colloquial sense is foreign to you, I would suggest watching a specific YouTube video, which I probably shouldn’t mention here but your non-bro friends will know about it (hint: it’s by Derrick Comedy and starts with the word “bro”).

In brief, as you can infer from the video, “bros” are the ubiquitous male college students often seen sporting pink, popped-collar, (sometimes multiple) polo shirts, Birkenstocks, and khaki cargo shorts. They can frequently be heard conversing about the endless cheap brews they imbibed the previous night while “working their game” with all-too-many “friendly” sorority girls.

If you happened to accidentally stumble into one of their dorm rooms or frat houses during one of their too-common chillout sessions, your ears might be graced by the melodious music of Dave Matthews, or if lucky enough, a live-but out-of-tune version of Bob Marley’s “Redemption Song.”

Running into them on campus is another story in itself. Too many times, I’ve had to pull out my emergency oxygen tank in order to prevent myself from choking to death on body spray.

If, like me, you have experienced this disturbing phenomenon that continues to permeate our campus and others across the country, you may be wondering what kind of helpful action you can take. Unfortunately, the truth is that besides folding down their consistently popped collars and pointing and laughing while they work on their man-tans at the pool, there’s not much that can be done.

Sure, you could spend your time writing op-ed articles in an attempt to alter the rigid opinions of our student body, but is it really worth it? The omnipotent influence of an MTV-based suburban society is a hard thing to counter, and will continue to transform more and more of our youth into the culturally decadent bros that exist today. In my opinion, the best way to deal with this pandemic problem is to forget it ever existed.

Miles Kenney-Lazar is a sophomore majoring in geography and international studies. He may be contacted at m.kenneylazar@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...