Baseball: Back on track

After suffering two straight losses against Mercer to begin the season, the Miami Hurricanes (3-2) baseball team used strong starting pitching and a thrilling comeback victory for a series sweep against the UCLA Bruins (2-4).

In the opening game of the series, redshirt junior lefthander Scott Maine and freshman southpaw Eric Erickson combined for a four-hit shutout in a nailbiting 1-0 victory.

Maine (1-0) went five strong innings and struck out five. The lefthander remained poised after allowing a leadoff triple in the top of the fourth inning, retiring three straight batters without a run to score.

“If the guys aren’t scoring runs and the other pitcher is throwing really well, you got to step up to his level and perform just as good and keep zeros on the board,” Maine said.

Miami then turned to untested freshman Eric Erickson for the final four innings. The Sarasota native was resilient, working out of mini-jams in the top of the sixth and ninth innings.

Erickson struck out Brady Dolan with a runner on third and two outs in the ninth to earn his first career save.

Miami first baseman Yonder Alonso, who had a dominant series offensively, drove in the lone run on a sacrifice fly in the third inning.

Miami scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning on Saturday for a 9-8 comeback win.

Despite the comeback, the bullpen once again struggled and nearly cost Miami the game.

The Hurricanes blew a 6-4 lead in the eighth, as freshman right-hander Michel Rudman failed to record an out, allowing three hits and two earned runs.

With the teams tied 6-6 in the ninth, Miami freshman right-hander Anthony Nalepa had a rocky debut, giving up back-to-back homeruns to Bruins shortstop Brandon Crawford and first baseman Tim Stewart.

Miami used timely hitting against Bruins closer Brant Rustich (0-2) in the ninth inning.

With runners on first and second, Alonso, who was 4-for-4 with two homeruns and four RBIs, singled to centerfield to cut the lead to a run.

Freshman Mark Sobolewsi followed with his biggest hit as a Hurricane, a double to leftfield which plated Jackson to tie the board 8-8. After Raben grounded out, Gus Menendez hit a game wining single to leftfield for the dramatic victory.

“This is a huge win for us and complete team win,” Alonso said. “We put the ball in play in the late innings and it worked out for us.”

Manny Miguelez (0-0) had his second straight solid outing Sunday in a 7-3 victory. Miguelez had another no-decision despite pitching seven innings and allowing two runs.

With Miami leading 3-2 in the top of the eighth, Bruins leftfielder Justin Uribe hit a solo homerun to leftfield off junior closer Enrique Garcia (1-1), who blew his second save of the season.

Miami responded in the bottom of the eighth, beginning with a double by sophomore Denis Raben. With the bases loaded and one out, Rustich threw a wild pitch with catcher Jason Hagerty at the plate that allowed the go-ahead run to score.

Miami pushed across three additional runs to secure the win.

“That was a great comeback on Saturday and today the same thing,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “It shows a lot from the backbone of your team to do that.”

Alex Kushel may be contacted at a.kushel@umiami.edu.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...