$10 million goes to globalizing School of Comm curriculum

The University of Miami’s School of Communication, along with the president of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, announced the creation of a $10 million center for international media Friday.

The Knight Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting journalism, gave the school a $3.5 million grant. This money, along with $5 million of previously-donated money from the foundation and a $1 million contribution from UM will go towards the new Knight Center for International Media.

Aimed at promoting global and visual journalism, the Knight Center will focus on providing students with cross-cultural communication skills.

“It’s exactly for students to broaden journalism training not only at UM, but internationally,” President Donna E. Shalala told The Miami Hurricane shortly after the announcement.

The principals involved said the money will benefit UM journalism students by providing up-to-date multimedia technology.

Alberto Ibarg

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...