$10 million goes to globalizing School of Comm curriculum

The University of Miami’s School of Communication, along with the president of the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, announced the creation of a $10 million center for international media Friday.

The Knight Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting journalism, gave the school a $3.5 million grant. This money, along with $5 million of previously-donated money from the foundation and a $1 million contribution from UM will go towards the new Knight Center for International Media.

Aimed at promoting global and visual journalism, the Knight Center will focus on providing students with cross-cultural communication skills.

“It’s exactly for students to broaden journalism training not only at UM, but internationally,” President Donna E. Shalala told The Miami Hurricane shortly after the announcement.

The principals involved said the money will benefit UM journalism students by providing up-to-date multimedia technology.

Alberto Ibarg

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...