Strange News

School sell tuition, room, and board on eBay

Oklahoma Wesleyan University students have the opportunity to pay a lot less for tuition than the rest of their classmates. On Saturday, the University kicked off an eBay auction of a year of tuition, including room and board at the private college. The bidding had reached 4,425 dollars by 11 p.m. Bidders can buy the tuition for either themselves or someone else. There are currently 1,030 students enrolled at the University and a year of tuition, room and board at Oklahoma Wesleyan costs about $23,000. The bidding will be open through Saturday. Mike Colaw, the University’s special assistant to the Vice President, said the school is looking to “create a buzz” surrounding the auction. The tuition recipient, however, must meet the university’s admission requirements.

Hungary to turn jails into hotels

Guests will be free to check out when they please if Hungary succeeds in converting its jails into luxury hotels. In order to fill a hole in its budget and replace some of its overcrowded prisons with new facilities, the Hungarian government is talking to a Spanish firm interested in buying its jails in prime downtown locations. Once home to some of the country’s most dangerous criminals, the star-shaped Csillag prison in the south-eastern city of Szeged is one jail that could be sold, with the proceeds used to build a more modern, humane prison in the suburbs. Once the criminals are out of these prisons, these buildings could be used for housing, high end luxury hotels, restaurants, etc. “You could do marvels with that building,” State Secretary Ferenc Kondorosi said, who noted Hungary’s prisons have a 138 percent occupancy rate. He would not name the Spanish firm involved but said government officials were traveling to Spain to see similar projects there.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...