Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Hicks suspended indefinitely

Junior forward Raymond Hicks has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

This announcement was made Tuesday morning by men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith.

The suspension of Hicks is yet another blow to the Miami frontcourt, as Miami has already lost four frontcourt players to injury.

“Obviously we are very disappointed to lose Ray,” Haith said.

“However, we have certain team rules, and when you make a choice to break those rules, there are consequences.”

Blast From the Past

Curnutt named ACC Legend

In an announcement made on Monday by ACC Commissioner John Swofford, Don Curnutt, a former Hurricane men’s basketball player, was one of the 12 men named as 2007 ACC Basketball Legends.

The 1970 All-American averaged 26.1 points per game in his 77-game career as a Hurricane, and he ranks third all-time on Miami’s scoring list, despite playing during a time when players were only granted three years of eligibility.

Curnutt and the other 11 members will be recognized at the 2007 Men’s ACC Tournament in March.

NFL

Former ‘Canes show off

Former Miami Hurricanes’ wide receiver Reggie Wayne and kick/punt returner Devin Hester were both ‘super’ on Super Sunday. Both helped the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears, respectively, get off to a good start in the Super Bowl.

Hester became the first player in NFL history to return the opening kickoff, in a Super Bowl, for a touchdown. Hester’s 92-yard scamper was answered by Wayne as he was able to get open for a 53-yard touchdown reception.

The two, through their play, showed the world what “U” get when you draft a player from “The U.”

Men’s Tennis

Team loses first match of season

The No. 10 University of Miami Hurricanes dropped their first match of the season 4-3 against the Wisconsin Badgers.

The team split their singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian all picked up wins. As for doubles, only the pair of D’Agord and Josh Cohen was able to pick up a victory, as both of the other pairs suffered losses.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 2-1 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...