Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Hicks suspended indefinitely

Junior forward Raymond Hicks has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

This announcement was made Tuesday morning by men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith.

The suspension of Hicks is yet another blow to the Miami frontcourt, as Miami has already lost four frontcourt players to injury.

“Obviously we are very disappointed to lose Ray,” Haith said.

“However, we have certain team rules, and when you make a choice to break those rules, there are consequences.”

Blast From the Past

Curnutt named ACC Legend

In an announcement made on Monday by ACC Commissioner John Swofford, Don Curnutt, a former Hurricane men’s basketball player, was one of the 12 men named as 2007 ACC Basketball Legends.

The 1970 All-American averaged 26.1 points per game in his 77-game career as a Hurricane, and he ranks third all-time on Miami’s scoring list, despite playing during a time when players were only granted three years of eligibility.

Curnutt and the other 11 members will be recognized at the 2007 Men’s ACC Tournament in March.

NFL

Former ‘Canes show off

Former Miami Hurricanes’ wide receiver Reggie Wayne and kick/punt returner Devin Hester were both ‘super’ on Super Sunday. Both helped the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears, respectively, get off to a good start in the Super Bowl.

Hester became the first player in NFL history to return the opening kickoff, in a Super Bowl, for a touchdown. Hester’s 92-yard scamper was answered by Wayne as he was able to get open for a 53-yard touchdown reception.

The two, through their play, showed the world what “U” get when you draft a player from “The U.”

Men’s Tennis

Team loses first match of season

The No. 10 University of Miami Hurricanes dropped their first match of the season 4-3 against the Wisconsin Badgers.

The team split their singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian all picked up wins. As for doubles, only the pair of D’Agord and Josh Cohen was able to pick up a victory, as both of the other pairs suffered losses.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 2-1 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...