Sports Briefs

Men’s Basketball

Hicks suspended indefinitely

Junior forward Raymond Hicks has been suspended indefinitely for violating team rules.

This announcement was made Tuesday morning by men’s basketball Head Coach Frank Haith.

The suspension of Hicks is yet another blow to the Miami frontcourt, as Miami has already lost four frontcourt players to injury.

“Obviously we are very disappointed to lose Ray,” Haith said.

“However, we have certain team rules, and when you make a choice to break those rules, there are consequences.”

Blast From the Past

Curnutt named ACC Legend

In an announcement made on Monday by ACC Commissioner John Swofford, Don Curnutt, a former Hurricane men’s basketball player, was one of the 12 men named as 2007 ACC Basketball Legends.

The 1970 All-American averaged 26.1 points per game in his 77-game career as a Hurricane, and he ranks third all-time on Miami’s scoring list, despite playing during a time when players were only granted three years of eligibility.

Curnutt and the other 11 members will be recognized at the 2007 Men’s ACC Tournament in March.

NFL

Former ‘Canes show off

Former Miami Hurricanes’ wide receiver Reggie Wayne and kick/punt returner Devin Hester were both ‘super’ on Super Sunday. Both helped the Indianapolis Colts and the Chicago Bears, respectively, get off to a good start in the Super Bowl.

Hester became the first player in NFL history to return the opening kickoff, in a Super Bowl, for a touchdown. Hester’s 92-yard scamper was answered by Wayne as he was able to get open for a 53-yard touchdown reception.

The two, through their play, showed the world what “U” get when you draft a player from “The U.”

Men’s Tennis

Team loses first match of season

The No. 10 University of Miami Hurricanes dropped their first match of the season 4-3 against the Wisconsin Badgers.

The team split their singles matches, as Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Vivek Subramanian all picked up wins. As for doubles, only the pair of D’Agord and Josh Cohen was able to pick up a victory, as both of the other pairs suffered losses.

The loss drops the Hurricanes to 2-1 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...