Miss UM Pageant highlights cultural diversity on campus

Family members, friends and fans filled the auditorium at the Gusman Concert Hall Tuesday night to watch 12 pageant contestants compete for the ultimate position of Miss University of Miami 2007.

Since the beginning of the night, this year’s pageant was not the stereotypical beauty contest-this year it was greatly rooted on cultural backgrounds, differences and diversity. The contestants represented different cultures, coming from countries ranging from Vietnam to India to Nigeria.

As any traditional pageant, bathing suits showed fit bodies and each contestant had the opportunity to show off a talent. Some chose to sing, while others played an instrument or presented a monologue.

Some found that their talent was best represented by their cultural background, such as Veena Gursahani who danced to a traditional Indian song.

“The contestants showed how different cultures are present at UM, and how many of these pageants and competitions are striving to be diverse,” said Jonathan Franklin, a freshman and pageant attendee.

Before the coronation, the Indian Student Association performed their award-winning Indian dance. Similarly, Nicole Henry, a judge and UM graduate class of 2006, received a standing ovation after singing a song that she dedicated to the contestants who “seek to make a difference in the lives of others with their different platforms.”

Brenda Edwards, a Miss America judge, said judges had a difficult job in choosing a winner and the contestants were tremendously talented.

After deliberating, judges crowned Olusola Bamishigbin, a senior, Miss University of Miami 2007. Tears flowed down her face as a crown was placed on her head by Sarah Pachter, Miss University of Miami 2006.

Bamishigbin not only won a $1,000 scholarship and several other prizes, but most importantly, she will go on representing UM and her country of Nigeria at the Miss Florida pageant and possibly the Miss America pageant 2007.

Gabriela Campos may be contacted at gcampos@umsis.miami.edu.

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...