Colts, bunnies and Bears: oh my! Football’s big event is overrated

As my Colts were closing in on a Super Bowl win, I couldn’t help but reflect on the past week of festivities in Miami, and the current state of sports.

The Super Bowl tends to be like the UM baseball team: overly hyped, only to fall short of expectations. By the end of the third quarter, the last vegetables have been surgically removed from the dip, the chips are all but gone, the jerseys sport the latest accumulated stains, the commercials are sub-par, and the game is usually determined.

But this year, the commercials were great, Prince proved that he’s not only just flamboyant, and by the time the fourth quarter came, everyone was still at the edge of their seats.

Bill Simmons, a columnist for ESPN’s Page 2, noted that the Super Bowl should only be played in major cities that people would want to go to. Forget Detroit and Minnesota-Miami, New Orleans and San Francisco need to be perennial hosts. I had the pleasure of going to South Beach on Saturday to see all of Ocean Drive closed off. It was a scene that I thought I could only concoct in a fantasy, a magical zoo of sorts, with Bears, Colts, and Playboy Bunnies roaming free, feeding on various energy drinks, and looking dazed amongst the celebrities, cars, clubs, and glamour that is South Beach.

With all that said, the Super Bowl was a success, and it looks like it will be in years to come. What has gone unsaid, though, is how baseball, our “national pastime” has been in decline for nearly a decade. Beginning with the reports that Mark McGuire had used steroids during his chase of and ultimate conquest of the home run record, up until now, where Barry Bonds will break the all-time record because of performance-enhancing drugs. Baseball is at the point where it will slowly, but surely, fade to become “America’s past pastime,” allowing leagues like the NFL or NBA to become America’s official sport.

The excitement will undoubtedly be there when spring training begins, but it seems as though Baseball will travel more with the baby boomers than it will with “Generation X.”

A new era of sports is inevitable, and the burden will be on baseball to find its niche within the group of major sports. The NFL has taken tremendous steps in transforming the apparent decline of football in the 80’s into what it has today-a young commissioner, exciting Super Bowl cities, and a ring for the face of the sport (Peyton Manning). The NBA has followed in a similar fashion-thought to be on the decline after the glory days of Bird, Magic, and Jordan, but reviving itself with talents such as LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, and Kobe Bryant, plus a Phoenix Suns team that makes any true proponent of the game delighted to watch.

It will be very interesting to see how the MLB handles themselves within the next 10 years, but by then, I’ll be much too interested in gaining access to the Playboy party during Super Bowl week.

Adam Flomenbaum is a freshman majoring in political science and philosophy. He may be contacted at a.flomenbaum@umiami.edu

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...