Campaign organizers hope to jumpstart recycling efforts

Recycling in Coral Gables campus is not where university and student leaders would like it to be.

But Lara Polansky, president of UM’s chapter of Earth Alert, hopes that this year that will change with the university’s participation in the national RecycleMania campaign.

“This competition is just a way to jumpstart what we hope to be a long-term on the UM campus,” Polansky said.

While Earth Alert is in charge of spreading the word and encouraging student participation, UM’s Department of Environmental Health and Safety is in charge of the competition, which began Jan. 29 and lasts 10 weeks.

The competition, sponsored nationally by the Environmental Protection Agency, pits 201 colleges and universities against each in an effort to recycle the most bottles, paper and plastic products.

UM is competing against other ACC schools to see who collects the most recyclables in the allotted time. Other Florida universities participating include Nova Southeastern University, University of Central Florida and University of Florida.

Ken Capezzuto, director of EHS, started looking in to RecycleMania last semester in order to bring the competition to the university.

“If we [are going to]get the university committed to recycling, you have to make it easy and convenient,” he said. Like Polansky, Capezzuto said this is a starting point. “We’re going to continue this and grow.”

President Donna E. Shalala believes that prior recycling efforts failed because students were not as conscious of environmental issues, such as global warming.

“We’re going to try it again,” she said. “I’m for recycling. It has not been successful in the past on this campus, but I think the students’ attitudes are changing about their willingness to do it. Our administrative offices already do recycling, the question is, ‘Can we excite the student body?'”

John Constantinide, speaker of the Student Government Senate, told The Miami Hurricane before last semester’s State of the University address that the Senate had established a recycling sub-committee, noting that there is increased publicity and expanded availability of recycling bins, particularly in the University Center.

With RecycleMania, the university hopes to reach out to students by placing various recycling bins around the green in as many as 20 locations, Capezzuto said. Other locations will include dining halls and food court as well as by expanding recycling in the dorms.

Polansky noted that there is currently no recycling at University Village or the intramural fields

A number of smaller on-campus competitions are planned, such as contests among all the in the residential colleges, between each tower in Hecht and Stanford, and by floor. Student organizations with offices will also participate, with one person from each group designated to keep track of their total-relying on the honor system. The Pan-Hellenic Council has also expressed interest in participating.

For the overall contest, there will be a formal calculation of the number of pounds collected, with periodic progress updates.

Nikita Shiel-Rolle, a member of Earth Alert, hopes that the competitive spirit will help improve the university in more than one way.

“We want to change the mentality of our school,” she said, later adding. “We are a leading school and it’s important for us to lead in all ways.”

Earth Alert will be tabling in the UC Breezeway throughout the campaign to inform students. Similarly, the group plans to host UM Recycles Day Feb. 27 on the Rock, where students who bring recyclables will be entered in a raffle.

More information about the overall Recycle Mania competition may be found at www.recyclemaniacs.org.

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...