Bill Clinton to speak at Spring Convocation

After a long-standing invitation from President Donna E. Shalala, the University of Miami confirmed that former President Bill Clinton will speak at the Spring Convocation ceremony on March 1 at 4 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

Former Vice President Al Gore will speak as a part of the University Lecture Series on Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. in the BUC.

Clinton will address his Global Initiative, a project under the William J. Clinton Foundation meant to motivate leaders.

The Clinton Foundation deals with global interdependence specifically focusing on childhood obesity in the U.S., climate change, global poverty and HIV/AIDS around the world.

Gore’s lecture will also touch on environmental issues. It will resemble the presentation seen in his documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Shalala, the former president’s secretary of Health and Human Services, also invited Hillary Clinton to be speak on campus. She will most likely come in the fall, along with other presidential contenders.

The Bill Clinton’s event will be open to the entire UM community, but not to the general public.

Information on the ticketing has not yet been announced. Updates will be posted on The Miami Hurricane’s web site, www.themiamihurricane.com.

Greg Linch contributed to this report.

Walyce Almeida may be contacted w.almeida@umiami.edu.

University of Miami students and staff were given fellowships and awards that will allow them to pur

University of Miami President Julio Frenk joins ecologist Simon Levin for a webinar that will explor

The Miami Herbert Business School announced that a student-led committee will commission artwork for

A tireless physician who was always on call, Dr. Sayfie made patients partners in their care.

The temporary move to drop standardized testing requirements will hopefully eliminate some of the st