Bill Clinton to speak at Spring Convocation

After a long-standing invitation from President Donna E. Shalala, the University of Miami confirmed that former President Bill Clinton will speak at the Spring Convocation ceremony on March 1 at 4 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

Former Vice President Al Gore will speak as a part of the University Lecture Series on Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. in the BUC.

Clinton will address his Global Initiative, a project under the William J. Clinton Foundation meant to motivate leaders.

The Clinton Foundation deals with global interdependence specifically focusing on childhood obesity in the U.S., climate change, global poverty and HIV/AIDS around the world.

Gore’s lecture will also touch on environmental issues. It will resemble the presentation seen in his documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Shalala, the former president’s secretary of Health and Human Services, also invited Hillary Clinton to be speak on campus. She will most likely come in the fall, along with other presidential contenders.

The Bill Clinton’s event will be open to the entire UM community, but not to the general public.

Information on the ticketing has not yet been announced. Updates will be posted on The Miami Hurricane’s web site, www.themiamihurricane.com.

Greg Linch contributed to this report.

Walyce Almeida may be contacted w.almeida@umiami.edu.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...