Bill Clinton to speak at Spring Convocation

After a long-standing invitation from President Donna E. Shalala, the University of Miami confirmed that former President Bill Clinton will speak at the Spring Convocation ceremony on March 1 at 4 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

Former Vice President Al Gore will speak as a part of the University Lecture Series on Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. in the BUC.

Clinton will address his Global Initiative, a project under the William J. Clinton Foundation meant to motivate leaders.

The Clinton Foundation deals with global interdependence specifically focusing on childhood obesity in the U.S., climate change, global poverty and HIV/AIDS around the world.

Gore’s lecture will also touch on environmental issues. It will resemble the presentation seen in his documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Shalala, the former president’s secretary of Health and Human Services, also invited Hillary Clinton to be speak on campus. She will most likely come in the fall, along with other presidential contenders.

The Bill Clinton’s event will be open to the entire UM community, but not to the general public.

Information on the ticketing has not yet been announced. Updates will be posted on The Miami Hurricane’s web site, www.themiamihurricane.com.

Greg Linch contributed to this report.

Walyce Almeida may be contacted w.almeida@umiami.edu.

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...