Bill Clinton to speak at Spring Convocation

After a long-standing invitation from President Donna E. Shalala, the University of Miami confirmed that former President Bill Clinton will speak at the Spring Convocation ceremony on March 1 at 4 p.m. in the BankUnited Center.

Former Vice President Al Gore will speak as a part of the University Lecture Series on Feb. 28 at 6 p.m. in the BUC.

Clinton will address his Global Initiative, a project under the William J. Clinton Foundation meant to motivate leaders.

The Clinton Foundation deals with global interdependence specifically focusing on childhood obesity in the U.S., climate change, global poverty and HIV/AIDS around the world.

Gore’s lecture will also touch on environmental issues. It will resemble the presentation seen in his documentary, “An Inconvenient Truth.”

Shalala, the former president’s secretary of Health and Human Services, also invited Hillary Clinton to be speak on campus. She will most likely come in the fall, along with other presidential contenders.

The Bill Clinton’s event will be open to the entire UM community, but not to the general public.

Information on the ticketing has not yet been announced. Updates will be posted on The Miami Hurricane’s web site, www.themiamihurricane.com.

Greg Linch contributed to this report.

Walyce Almeida may be contacted w.almeida@umiami.edu.

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...