Women’s Track: Successful season continues in NY

The women’s track team started their season strong, and looked to continue their winning ways at the New Balance Invitational in New York. The meet lasted both Friday and Saturday, with Friday’s qualifiers leading up to Saturday’s finals.

After having four separate first-place finishes at their last invitational, the Hurricanes had high expectations from their trip to New York. Determined not to disappoint, the team came out strong on Friday. Senior Ginou Etienne qualified for the finals in the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.50, which was the sixth fastest of the afternoon.

Meanwhile, freshman standouts Ashley Dukes and Kristy Whyte placed first and second in the 60-meter dash with times of 7.49 and 7.54, respectively.

Dukes has had an excellent first season thus far for Miami. In her first collegiate meet (The Florida Intercollegiate), Dukes placed second in the 55-meter dash with a time of 6.95. At the Clemson Invitational on January 20, she placed first in the 60-meter with a time of 7.54 and third in the 200-meter with a time of 25.0.

On Saturday neither Dukes nor Whyte placed in the 60-meter dash, finishing ninth and thirteenth, respectively. Miami was able to place in the weight throw finals. Junior Khadija Talley placed second with a throw of 65 feet, two and a quarter inches.

The Hurricanes will try to continue their stellar play as they prepare for the Tyson Invitational, which will take place on Feb. 9 and 10 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...