UMPD Crime Tip: Identity Theft

It is estimated that 900,000 Americans become victims of ID theft each year, and this number is growing. Don’t forget, students are targets too. The US Federal Trade Commission recommends following the 3D approach: Deter, Detect, & Defend. Deter identity thieves by safeguarding your personal information. Keep personal information in a secure place and shred personal documents you no longer need, don’t carry your social security card in your wallet or purse, don’t give personal information over the phone, never click on links sent in unsolicited emails, and don’t use obvious passwords like your birthday. Detect suspicious activity by routinely monitoring your financial accounts and billing statements. This includes checking your credit report on an annual basis, if not more often. Defend against identity theft as soon as you suspect a problem. Contact the Federal Trade Commission or the UM Police Department for information on how to proceed. Awareness is among the most powerful tools in the fight against identity theft. Further information on identity theft and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the UM Police Crime Prevention Unit at (305) 284-1105.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...