The Shins remain fresh; will delight old, new fans alike

The Shins are trying to avoid failure. After the immense success of their indie bombshell, “Chutes Too Narrow,” they’ve been pacing themselves, carefully molding what would be their most anticipated album to date, “Wincing the Night Away.”

Their third studio album, nearly three years in the making, is far from typical and will probably throw off countless expectations. The 11 track CD is full of catchy, popcorn tunes, but also has its fair share of experimental, trend-setting tracks that help elevate the album beyond the minimal approach utilized in the first two efforts.

Songs like “Australia,” “Phantom Limb” and “Turn On Me” sound like classic Shins, while tracks like “Sleeping Lessons,” “Sea Legs” and “Split Needles” come off as irrational, yet textured, gonzo efforts. As it is, the album is better for it.

Lead singer/songwriter James Mercer shows noticeable growth, vocally and lyrically, on “Wincing the Night Away.” His charmingly stoic voice is still intact, but something curiously mysterious has crept up on him. The fact that I can’t put my finger is insignificant. If it works, don’t question it.

The fact that “Wincing the Night Away” is not “Chutes Too Narrow” might scare off some of the more hardcore Shins fans, but for those venturing into Shins territory for the fist time, it’ll prove to be a nice treat. Because, somewhere along the road to rediscovering their sound, The Shins found a way to stay true to themselves and remain fresh and refined at the same time. “Wincing the Night Away” is a testament to their staying power.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...