Strange News : Professional Pillow fighting introduced

Hundreds of New Yorkers were lined up last weekend for the US debut of the Pillow Fight League (PFL). This league is a Canadian invention meant to turn the stereotypical male fantasy into a popular sport for women “who enjoy behaving badly”. They are not allowed to scratch, gouge or pull each other’s hair. Instead, only a fiber-filled bed pillow may be used. A Canadian model, Katrina Randell, who goes by “Sally Spitfire” while pillow fighting said, “It’s not just a bunch of sexy girls in lingerie-get ready, you’re going to get walloped. We beat the crap out of each other and we’re giggling at the end.” The PFL whose slogan is “Fight like a girl” has 22 fighting members, an official male referee and rules which include no “rude, lewd or suggesting behavior” (this includes stuffing a brick into your pillow). Needless to say, both female audiences and male sports columnists mentioned that this event has a “leering, creepy old man element in the crowd” which is a “post-modern irony that set women back, oh, 40 years.” Fights last five minutes and are won by pinning opponents to the ground (sometimes with the help of a pillow ’round their throat), or belting them so hard that they surrender.

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...