Strange News : Professional Pillow fighting introduced

Hundreds of New Yorkers were lined up last weekend for the US debut of the Pillow Fight League (PFL). This league is a Canadian invention meant to turn the stereotypical male fantasy into a popular sport for women “who enjoy behaving badly”. They are not allowed to scratch, gouge or pull each other’s hair. Instead, only a fiber-filled bed pillow may be used. A Canadian model, Katrina Randell, who goes by “Sally Spitfire” while pillow fighting said, “It’s not just a bunch of sexy girls in lingerie-get ready, you’re going to get walloped. We beat the crap out of each other and we’re giggling at the end.” The PFL whose slogan is “Fight like a girl” has 22 fighting members, an official male referee and rules which include no “rude, lewd or suggesting behavior” (this includes stuffing a brick into your pillow). Needless to say, both female audiences and male sports columnists mentioned that this event has a “leering, creepy old man element in the crowd” which is a “post-modern irony that set women back, oh, 40 years.” Fights last five minutes and are won by pinning opponents to the ground (sometimes with the help of a pillow ’round their throat), or belting them so hard that they surrender.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...