Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanes land major QB prospect

After having had a verbal commitment from Churchill High School quarterback Nick Fanuzzi, he uncommitted from Miami. This allowed Fanuzzi to commit to Alabama.

Coincidentally, Plant Senior High School quarterback Robert Marve had committed to Alabama, but the departure of Head Coach Mike Shula was reason enough for Marve to reassess his future, and as of 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, Alabama was no longer in Marve’s future.

The result: In Marve, Miami lands itself one of this year’s top quarterback recruits. The Tampa, Fla. native and Florida’s “Mr. Football” has given Miami a solid verbal commitment.

Women’s Basketball

Hurricanes drop third in a row

The Miami women’s basketball team charged from 10 down with 1:57 left to play in Thursday’s game, cutting Florida State’s lead to three on a four-point play by sophomore guard LaToya Cunningham, with 23 seconds left to play.

Despite leading by two at the end of the first half and making a major push at the end of the game, the lady Hurricanes were unable to secure their second ACC win of the season.

The loss drops the team to 10-13 (1-7 ACC) on the season.

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes suffer first loss

The Hurricanes’ women’s tennis team suffered its first loss of the dual season this weekend. The No. 5 Hurricanes fell to No. 8 Northwestern 4-3 in the quarterfinals.

The team bounced back the next day, at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships, winning 6-1 against No. 10 Baylor.

On the bright side, Audra Cohen, Laura Vallverdu, and Audrey Banada finished 3-0.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...