Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanes land major QB prospect

After having had a verbal commitment from Churchill High School quarterback Nick Fanuzzi, he uncommitted from Miami. This allowed Fanuzzi to commit to Alabama.

Coincidentally, Plant Senior High School quarterback Robert Marve had committed to Alabama, but the departure of Head Coach Mike Shula was reason enough for Marve to reassess his future, and as of 4 p.m. on Jan. 31, Alabama was no longer in Marve’s future.

The result: In Marve, Miami lands itself one of this year’s top quarterback recruits. The Tampa, Fla. native and Florida’s “Mr. Football” has given Miami a solid verbal commitment.

Women’s Basketball

Hurricanes drop third in a row

The Miami women’s basketball team charged from 10 down with 1:57 left to play in Thursday’s game, cutting Florida State’s lead to three on a four-point play by sophomore guard LaToya Cunningham, with 23 seconds left to play.

Despite leading by two at the end of the first half and making a major push at the end of the game, the lady Hurricanes were unable to secure their second ACC win of the season.

The loss drops the team to 10-13 (1-7 ACC) on the season.

Women’s Tennis

Hurricanes suffer first loss

The Hurricanes’ women’s tennis team suffered its first loss of the dual season this weekend. The No. 5 Hurricanes fell to No. 8 Northwestern 4-3 in the quarterfinals.

The team bounced back the next day, at the USTA/ITA Team Indoor Championships, winning 6-1 against No. 10 Baylor.

On the bright side, Audra Cohen, Laura Vallverdu, and Audrey Banada finished 3-0.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM coach Manny Diaz took his staff to the Florida Keys on Tuesday evening to visit with famous Keys ...

Dominic Mammarelli didn’t only commit to the Miami Hurricanes because of Mark Richt and his old staf ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The Shelley family shares their story of four generations at the University of Miami. ...

Mark Rowlands, a University of Miami professor who adopted and raised a wolf-dog cub, observed the s ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

The No. 15 Miami women's tennis team is set to open league competition Saturday afternoon with ...

ACC unveils opponents for 20-game conference schedules for next three seasons. ...

Miami tops Clemson 65-64, as Johnson hits game-winner with 0.4 seconds remaining. ...

The Miami women's tennis team ascended two spots in this week's Oracle/ITA team rankings a ...