News Briefs

UMNews

UM researchers identify method to help fight cancer

Researchers at the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center have identified how an important growth control mechanism is disabled in certain cancers, and have found a way to restore its function in the lab.

Dr. Joyce M. Slingerland, director of the UM Braman Family Breast Cancer Institute, and her research group discovered that the oncogene Src is successful in inactivating the growth inhibitor p27. The p27 inhibitor is normally switched off, allowing cancer to propagate and spread.

The researchers’ next step is a clinical trial. The work will be funded by the Doris Duke Distinguished Clinical Science Award and a grant from the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

School of Architecture hosts Spain exhibit

The University of Miami School of Architecture will host the exhibit “Architecture in Spain 1935-2005: Modernity & Future” through March 2. Held in the Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center Gallery, the exhibition is curated by professors Jose Gelabert-Navia and Jean-Francois Lejeune. For more information on the exhibit, visit www.arc.miami.edu.

ELSEWhere

Scams prey on students seeking financial aid

Katie Thorn // OSU Daily Barometer (Oregon State U.)

(U-WIRE) CORVALLIS, Ore. – Sometimes financial aid offers can be too good to be true.

As scholarships and Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) season rolls in, solicitation of fraudulent e-mails and Web sites offering application help for a fee affect students and families alike.

Nearly $5 million is lost annually from the more than 350,000 students caught in aid scams each year, according to the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.

Much of the scholarship information in e-mails has turned out to be fraudulent.

To assist students and their families, Congress passed thea College Scholarship Fraud Prevention Act on Nov. 5, 2000.

The act established “stricter sentencing guidelines for criminal financial aid fraud … with implementing national awareness activities, including a scholarship fraud awareness page on the U.S. Department of Education’s Web site.”

Scholarships that never materialize, scholarships for profit, scholarship prizes, an advance-free loan and even seminars all raise red flags.

As a general rule, one should be cautious of any company that promises scholarships or makes other financial aid offers that contain specific elements.

ETC.

All student organizations must send one member to attend a mandatory budget workshop this week in order to be able to submit a 2007-2008 SAFAC regular budget request form. For workshop times and locations, visit www.miami.edu/safac.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...