Movie Review: ‘Smokin Aces’

It doesn’t take much to entertain audiences these days. Give them some violence, some laughs, some twists and do it in style, and you’ve got yourself a winner. This formula never makes for a great movie, but almost certainly makes for a watchable one.

The idea behind “Smokin Aces” isn’t very simple, nor logical. But it requires lots of stars, violence and stylistic overtones. Which makes for, according to the formula above, a very flashy, enjoyable movie-going experience.

Writer/director Joe Carnahan (who did the gritty and fantastic “Narc”) wastes no time with this one. Once the movie gets underway, we’re introduced to at least a dozen characters, most of whom happen to be your average psychopathic, raging, scumbag hitman. It’s these charismatic, mannered individuals who happen to be focusing their sights on the cracked-out, Vegas performer who goes by the name Buddy Israel (Jeremy Piven). Israel happens to be an FBI informant with key information that could bring down a big mob boss. So naturally there’s a price on his head, which every known hitman in the area has their hopes on getting.

If there’s one thing “Smokin’ Aces” isn’t lacking in, it’s in the imagination department. It’s just too bad most of the clever tricks and eye-candy happen to be stolen from other films of higher caliber and repute. Still, “Smokin’ Aces” is fun, if you let yourself have fun with it. It’s a stylized, violent mess of a good time. And you can never have too many of those.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...