Movie Review: ‘Smokin Aces’

It doesn’t take much to entertain audiences these days. Give them some violence, some laughs, some twists and do it in style, and you’ve got yourself a winner. This formula never makes for a great movie, but almost certainly makes for a watchable one.

The idea behind “Smokin Aces” isn’t very simple, nor logical. But it requires lots of stars, violence and stylistic overtones. Which makes for, according to the formula above, a very flashy, enjoyable movie-going experience.

Writer/director Joe Carnahan (who did the gritty and fantastic “Narc”) wastes no time with this one. Once the movie gets underway, we’re introduced to at least a dozen characters, most of whom happen to be your average psychopathic, raging, scumbag hitman. It’s these charismatic, mannered individuals who happen to be focusing their sights on the cracked-out, Vegas performer who goes by the name Buddy Israel (Jeremy Piven). Israel happens to be an FBI informant with key information that could bring down a big mob boss. So naturally there’s a price on his head, which every known hitman in the area has their hopes on getting.

If there’s one thing “Smokin’ Aces” isn’t lacking in, it’s in the imagination department. It’s just too bad most of the clever tricks and eye-candy happen to be stolen from other films of higher caliber and repute. Still, “Smokin’ Aces” is fun, if you let yourself have fun with it. It’s a stylized, violent mess of a good time. And you can never have too many of those.

Danny Gordon can be contacted at d.gordon@umiami.edu.

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...