Men’s Basketball: ‘Canes get tarred and feathered

The woes just seem to continue for the Hurricanes’ men’s basketball team, as they were downed 105-64 by the No. 3 North Carolina Tar Heels (20-2, 6-1 ACC).

From the opening seconds of Wednesday night’s game, the Tar Heels took the lead and never bothered to turn and look back. Powered by Tyler Hansbrough’s 22 points and 13 rebounds, the Tar Heels outdid the Hurricanes in almost every statistical category.

“I think they’re the best team in the country,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “They come at you in waves. He’s [North Carolina Head Coach Roy Williams] got a team. Trust me, he’s got a team.”

The 41-point loss was Miami’s fifth loss in a row, and it was the team’s most lopsided loss this season. This includes UNC’s ability to punish Miami on the boards, outrebounding them 49-24.

The story of the game was UNC’s ability to continue increasing their lead, by hitting 3’s and capitalizing on transition dunks.

Miami, who had beaten the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last season, was simply overwhelmed by this year’s Tar Heel team. As a result, the Tar Heels shot 56.3 percent from the field and 50 percent from behind the arc. Additionally, the Tar Heels collected 26 assists on 36 field goals.

Conversely, the Hurricanes only managed to shoot 35.5 percent from the field, although they were able to shoot 42.1 percent from three-point land.

Over the team’s recent five game losing streak, Miami has allowed the opposition, on all five occasions, to shoot 50 percent or better from the field while allowing the opposition to shoot 50 percent or better from down town four of the five times.

The fact that the team is struggling to guard the perimeter and outside jump shooters is the reason for Miami’s recent struggles.

Unless the team can find a way to tighten up its perimeter defense, find a way to rebound the ball, and have someone step into the limelight and take over offensively, Miami could be in serious danger of dropping most of its last eight games.

According to the old adage: Offensive wins games, but defense wins championships. At this point, simply scoring more points than the other team may do the trick.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...