Men’s Basketball: ‘Canes get tarred and feathered

The woes just seem to continue for the Hurricanes’ men’s basketball team, as they were downed 105-64 by the No. 3 North Carolina Tar Heels (20-2, 6-1 ACC).

From the opening seconds of Wednesday night’s game, the Tar Heels took the lead and never bothered to turn and look back. Powered by Tyler Hansbrough’s 22 points and 13 rebounds, the Tar Heels outdid the Hurricanes in almost every statistical category.

“I think they’re the best team in the country,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “They come at you in waves. He’s [North Carolina Head Coach Roy Williams] got a team. Trust me, he’s got a team.”

The 41-point loss was Miami’s fifth loss in a row, and it was the team’s most lopsided loss this season. This includes UNC’s ability to punish Miami on the boards, outrebounding them 49-24.

The story of the game was UNC’s ability to continue increasing their lead, by hitting 3’s and capitalizing on transition dunks.

Miami, who had beaten the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last season, was simply overwhelmed by this year’s Tar Heel team. As a result, the Tar Heels shot 56.3 percent from the field and 50 percent from behind the arc. Additionally, the Tar Heels collected 26 assists on 36 field goals.

Conversely, the Hurricanes only managed to shoot 35.5 percent from the field, although they were able to shoot 42.1 percent from three-point land.

Over the team’s recent five game losing streak, Miami has allowed the opposition, on all five occasions, to shoot 50 percent or better from the field while allowing the opposition to shoot 50 percent or better from down town four of the five times.

The fact that the team is struggling to guard the perimeter and outside jump shooters is the reason for Miami’s recent struggles.

Unless the team can find a way to tighten up its perimeter defense, find a way to rebound the ball, and have someone step into the limelight and take over offensively, Miami could be in serious danger of dropping most of its last eight games.

According to the old adage: Offensive wins games, but defense wins championships. At this point, simply scoring more points than the other team may do the trick.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...