Men’s Basketball: ‘Canes get tarred and feathered

The woes just seem to continue for the Hurricanes’ men’s basketball team, as they were downed 105-64 by the No. 3 North Carolina Tar Heels (20-2, 6-1 ACC).

From the opening seconds of Wednesday night’s game, the Tar Heels took the lead and never bothered to turn and look back. Powered by Tyler Hansbrough’s 22 points and 13 rebounds, the Tar Heels outdid the Hurricanes in almost every statistical category.

“I think they’re the best team in the country,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “They come at you in waves. He’s [North Carolina Head Coach Roy Williams] got a team. Trust me, he’s got a team.”

The 41-point loss was Miami’s fifth loss in a row, and it was the team’s most lopsided loss this season. This includes UNC’s ability to punish Miami on the boards, outrebounding them 49-24.

The story of the game was UNC’s ability to continue increasing their lead, by hitting 3’s and capitalizing on transition dunks.

Miami, who had beaten the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last season, was simply overwhelmed by this year’s Tar Heel team. As a result, the Tar Heels shot 56.3 percent from the field and 50 percent from behind the arc. Additionally, the Tar Heels collected 26 assists on 36 field goals.

Conversely, the Hurricanes only managed to shoot 35.5 percent from the field, although they were able to shoot 42.1 percent from three-point land.

Over the team’s recent five game losing streak, Miami has allowed the opposition, on all five occasions, to shoot 50 percent or better from the field while allowing the opposition to shoot 50 percent or better from down town four of the five times.

The fact that the team is struggling to guard the perimeter and outside jump shooters is the reason for Miami’s recent struggles.

Unless the team can find a way to tighten up its perimeter defense, find a way to rebound the ball, and have someone step into the limelight and take over offensively, Miami could be in serious danger of dropping most of its last eight games.

According to the old adage: Offensive wins games, but defense wins championships. At this point, simply scoring more points than the other team may do the trick.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...