Men’s Basketball: ‘Canes get tarred and feathered

The woes just seem to continue for the Hurricanes’ men’s basketball team, as they were downed 105-64 by the No. 3 North Carolina Tar Heels (20-2, 6-1 ACC).

From the opening seconds of Wednesday night’s game, the Tar Heels took the lead and never bothered to turn and look back. Powered by Tyler Hansbrough’s 22 points and 13 rebounds, the Tar Heels outdid the Hurricanes in almost every statistical category.

“I think they’re the best team in the country,” Head Coach Frank Haith said. “They come at you in waves. He’s [North Carolina Head Coach Roy Williams] got a team. Trust me, he’s got a team.”

The 41-point loss was Miami’s fifth loss in a row, and it was the team’s most lopsided loss this season. This includes UNC’s ability to punish Miami on the boards, outrebounding them 49-24.

The story of the game was UNC’s ability to continue increasing their lead, by hitting 3’s and capitalizing on transition dunks.

Miami, who had beaten the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill last season, was simply overwhelmed by this year’s Tar Heel team. As a result, the Tar Heels shot 56.3 percent from the field and 50 percent from behind the arc. Additionally, the Tar Heels collected 26 assists on 36 field goals.

Conversely, the Hurricanes only managed to shoot 35.5 percent from the field, although they were able to shoot 42.1 percent from three-point land.

Over the team’s recent five game losing streak, Miami has allowed the opposition, on all five occasions, to shoot 50 percent or better from the field while allowing the opposition to shoot 50 percent or better from down town four of the five times.

The fact that the team is struggling to guard the perimeter and outside jump shooters is the reason for Miami’s recent struggles.

Unless the team can find a way to tighten up its perimeter defense, find a way to rebound the ball, and have someone step into the limelight and take over offensively, Miami could be in serious danger of dropping most of its last eight games.

According to the old adage: Offensive wins games, but defense wins championships. At this point, simply scoring more points than the other team may do the trick.

Pravin Patel may be contacted at p.patel7@umiami.edu.

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...