Hillary will speak; time TBD

The answer is yes-Hillary Clinton will speak at the University of Miami at some point, particularly if there is an early Florida primary, said President Donna E. Shalala.

Mrs. Clinton is one of many candidates for president in 2008 Shalala would like to speak on campus.

“I hope huge numbers of students will register to vote because that will encourage presidential candidates to come here to the university,” she said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane, adding that she will send out a letter to each candidate once all have filed.

Shalala expects that the visits will begin next fall. Student organizations, such as the College Republicans and Young and College Democrats, will be approached to sponsor the candidates.

“I will not sponsor a candidate,” she said, adding, “I will facilitate the candidates coming and the university will pay any costs associated with a candidate coming here, whether they are a Republican or Democrat, as long as they are a legitimate candidate, just to give the students exposure.”

Shalala recently discussed Mrs. Clinton’s candidacy when she appeared on “The Colbert Report” last week.

“When people ask me who I’m going support in the presidential race, I simply say if Hillary runs, I’m a Hillary person,” Shalala told The Hurricane, adding, “Everybody knows it, it’s not like it’s a surprise.

“Hillary and I have been friends for 30 years, so there’s not a chance that I’m going to support anyone else. I’m not going to be active in the campaign, that’s an inappropriate thing to do, but I’m not going to pretend like I’m not going to support her.”

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...