Hillary will speak; time TBD

The answer is yes-Hillary Clinton will speak at the University of Miami at some point, particularly if there is an early Florida primary, said President Donna E. Shalala.

Mrs. Clinton is one of many candidates for president in 2008 Shalala would like to speak on campus.

“I hope huge numbers of students will register to vote because that will encourage presidential candidates to come here to the university,” she said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane, adding that she will send out a letter to each candidate once all have filed.

Shalala expects that the visits will begin next fall. Student organizations, such as the College Republicans and Young and College Democrats, will be approached to sponsor the candidates.

“I will not sponsor a candidate,” she said, adding, “I will facilitate the candidates coming and the university will pay any costs associated with a candidate coming here, whether they are a Republican or Democrat, as long as they are a legitimate candidate, just to give the students exposure.”

Shalala recently discussed Mrs. Clinton’s candidacy when she appeared on “The Colbert Report” last week.

“When people ask me who I’m going support in the presidential race, I simply say if Hillary runs, I’m a Hillary person,” Shalala told The Hurricane, adding, “Everybody knows it, it’s not like it’s a surprise.

“Hillary and I have been friends for 30 years, so there’s not a chance that I’m going to support anyone else. I’m not going to be active in the campaign, that’s an inappropriate thing to do, but I’m not going to pretend like I’m not going to support her.”

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...