Hillary will speak; time TBD

The answer is yes-Hillary Clinton will speak at the University of Miami at some point, particularly if there is an early Florida primary, said President Donna E. Shalala.

Mrs. Clinton is one of many candidates for president in 2008 Shalala would like to speak on campus.

“I hope huge numbers of students will register to vote because that will encourage presidential candidates to come here to the university,” she said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane, adding that she will send out a letter to each candidate once all have filed.

Shalala expects that the visits will begin next fall. Student organizations, such as the College Republicans and Young and College Democrats, will be approached to sponsor the candidates.

“I will not sponsor a candidate,” she said, adding, “I will facilitate the candidates coming and the university will pay any costs associated with a candidate coming here, whether they are a Republican or Democrat, as long as they are a legitimate candidate, just to give the students exposure.”

Shalala recently discussed Mrs. Clinton’s candidacy when she appeared on “The Colbert Report” last week.

“When people ask me who I’m going support in the presidential race, I simply say if Hillary runs, I’m a Hillary person,” Shalala told The Hurricane, adding, “Everybody knows it, it’s not like it’s a surprise.

“Hillary and I have been friends for 30 years, so there’s not a chance that I’m going to support anyone else. I’m not going to be active in the campaign, that’s an inappropriate thing to do, but I’m not going to pretend like I’m not going to support her.”

Greg Linch may be contacted at g.linch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...