‘Get out the vote’ for the city of Coral Gables elections

With the City of Coral Gables elections fast approaching, the “Get Out the Vote” campaign is back in full swing at the University of Miami.

The campus-wide campaign seeks to register all students who are Coral Gables residents to vote in the April 10 city elections. The deadline for registration is March 12.

Annette Ponnock, Student Government president, said that the university has about 5,000 guaranteed Coral Gables residents because of students living on campus. However, that number depends on whether or not all residents choose to register.

“This is a really unique opportunity because it is the students’ chance to have a direct impact on the betterment of the university,” Ponnock said.

There are 10 student leaders currently heading the campaign, which the Division of Student Affairs initiated prior to the 2004 presidential elections.

“The idea is that we are trying to build a better community here at UM,” said Johweyeh Lowenthal, campaign leader and president of Hands for the Homeless.

Lowenthal also said that by participating in the electoral process, students will show the city that the university wants to be part of the community.

In an address to the SG Senate on Wednesday, Krizia Giambanco, a former senator and current Category 5 vice-chair, said that the campaign is looking to bring mayoral candidates on campus for the debates. “We’re hoping that students vote so that Coral Gables officials listen to us,” Giambanco said.

John Constantinide, speaker of the SG Senate, said he feels students will become more receptive once they realize how important the vote is. Ponnock agreed.

“This is really empowering the students and letting them voice what they would like for the future of the university,” she said. “It’s not important who the students vote for, but rather that they get out and vote.”

Students interested in registering may stop by the “Get Out the Vote” table in the UC Breezeway this week or register on MyUM by clicking the Online Resources tab.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...