‘Face-sucking’ an unavoidably common scene on college campuses

I was trying to study orgo in the library this weekend when my ears were assaulted with the smackings and suckings of a make-out session. Two feet away, tucked under the stairs in the lobby, were two people making out like their lives depended on it. Maybe they thought they were invisible there under the stairs. Maybe they live with their Amish parents and are forbidden to date. Whatever the case, what can I do in the future to stop this insanity? Not only were their lusty kisses audible and distracting, but it’s also annoying as hell to see people sucking face everywhere.

Sick of Incessant Face-Sucking

Dear Reader,

Word. I don’t think that it’s possible for people to get any ruder than blatantly making out in the library’s lobby. I guess they must consider lobby kisses daring and risky. Really now, take it to a study room or to the stacks where it belongs. No one, especially someone who is cramming for orgo, should have to be subjected to a couple’s nasty smacking and slurping. As if they couldn’t wait until they got to the car, or even outside of the doors of Otto G. Maybe tomorrow they can have sex next to the turnstiles-now that’s erotic.

As if you didn’t already know, society’s “couple culture” has infiltrated college campuses. Yes, it’s annoying and needless, but it’s a fact of life in America. People love to celebrate their affection in front of others because it makes them feel “cool” that they’re in love. Likewise, college aged people are frisky! Blame it on the hormones. Be very aware, however, that once you make it out into the “real world,” if such a place actually does exist, your disgruntled attitude is likely to increase 100-fold because couplemania is rampant. How many people have multiple marriages throughout their lives? Exactly. Singledom is taboo. I hate to say this, but if you can’t beat ’em, you may as well join them.

While I do admit that you’re just going to have to suck it up and learn how to deal with the fact that lovey doveys will love at their own leisure, regardless of location, there are certain boundaries that should absolutely never be crossed! Your unfortunate experience with the library lip-lockers is one such case. In public, discretion is advised if not mandated. Furthermore, there is a huge difference between holding hands or pecking and full on gettin’ sloppy! If you don’t happen to be the one who’s involved in the kiss, watching a game of tonsil hockey is just plain awkward! Nobody wants to see it, so put it away and save it for home. The only exception that I will allow for is the drunken make out session, but that’s only in dark bars, and only after midnight.

Best,
V.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@hotmail.com or drop V a line in her box in the office of The Hurricane. All questions and comments will remain anonymous.

This Dear V originally ran on April 22, 2005.

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...