CBS morning anchor speaks

Harry Smith, the co-anchor of the CBS Early Show, discussed his career and the future of journalism Thursday at the School of Communication Common Gound courtyard.

Smith also took questions from the audience of approximately 120 students and faculty in seats and standing on the second floor walkway. A number of the students took notes for their news writing classes.

A 20-year veteran of CBS, Smith has covered both hard and soft news. Invited by Professor Sam Roberts to speak, Smith was in town for the Super Bowl. He has also covered Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the 2005 London bombings, the aftermath of the Dec. 26, 2005 tsunami and the Iraq war.

During the question and answer session, Smith answered questions about his thoughts on Katie Couric and network nightly news, candidly saying he thinks NBC’s program is doing the best work. Regarding Couric, he told the audience to watch and see her improve over the next few months.

Commenting on the corporate news environment, Smith said it is an uphill battle, with continous pressure to justify the costs.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...