CBS morning anchor speaks

Harry Smith, the co-anchor of the CBS Early Show, discussed his career and the future of journalism Thursday at the School of Communication Common Gound courtyard.

Smith also took questions from the audience of approximately 120 students and faculty in seats and standing on the second floor walkway. A number of the students took notes for their news writing classes.

A 20-year veteran of CBS, Smith has covered both hard and soft news. Invited by Professor Sam Roberts to speak, Smith was in town for the Super Bowl. He has also covered Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the 2005 London bombings, the aftermath of the Dec. 26, 2005 tsunami and the Iraq war.

During the question and answer session, Smith answered questions about his thoughts on Katie Couric and network nightly news, candidly saying he thinks NBC’s program is doing the best work. Regarding Couric, he told the audience to watch and see her improve over the next few months.

Commenting on the corporate news environment, Smith said it is an uphill battle, with continous pressure to justify the costs.

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...