CBS morning anchor speaks

Harry Smith, the co-anchor of the CBS Early Show, discussed his career and the future of journalism Thursday at the School of Communication Common Gound courtyard.

Smith also took questions from the audience of approximately 120 students and faculty in seats and standing on the second floor walkway. A number of the students took notes for their news writing classes.

A 20-year veteran of CBS, Smith has covered both hard and soft news. Invited by Professor Sam Roberts to speak, Smith was in town for the Super Bowl. He has also covered Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the 2005 London bombings, the aftermath of the Dec. 26, 2005 tsunami and the Iraq war.

During the question and answer session, Smith answered questions about his thoughts on Katie Couric and network nightly news, candidly saying he thinks NBC’s program is doing the best work. Regarding Couric, he told the audience to watch and see her improve over the next few months.

Commenting on the corporate news environment, Smith said it is an uphill battle, with continous pressure to justify the costs.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Former Miami women's basketball standout Emese Hof will begin her overseas professional career ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...