CBS morning anchor speaks

Harry Smith, the co-anchor of the CBS Early Show, discussed his career and the future of journalism Thursday at the School of Communication Common Gound courtyard.

Smith also took questions from the audience of approximately 120 students and faculty in seats and standing on the second floor walkway. A number of the students took notes for their news writing classes.

A 20-year veteran of CBS, Smith has covered both hard and soft news. Invited by Professor Sam Roberts to speak, Smith was in town for the Super Bowl. He has also covered Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the 2005 London bombings, the aftermath of the Dec. 26, 2005 tsunami and the Iraq war.

During the question and answer session, Smith answered questions about his thoughts on Katie Couric and network nightly news, candidly saying he thinks NBC’s program is doing the best work. Regarding Couric, he told the audience to watch and see her improve over the next few months.

Commenting on the corporate news environment, Smith said it is an uphill battle, with continous pressure to justify the costs.

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...