Student Government Supreme Court upholds Senator ruling

The Student Government Supreme Court recently voted to uphold the SG Senate decision that will keep Alex Vargas Vila from winning the position of School of Architecture senator.

In a unanimous decision passed on Jan. 22, the Court maintained the Senate ruling that Vila did not receive enough votes to be ratified as senator.

The Senate vote, held on Nov. 1, was 17 in favor, seven opposed and five abstaining.

Jon Levine, former Stanford Residential College senator and Zach Chan, Pearson Residential College senator, requested in a letter to Chief Justice Kelly Calisto dated Nov. 22 that the Court overrule the Senate’s decision, arguing that the amount of votes Vila received constituted a majority.

Although the 17 votes in favor of Vila constituted a majority of the 29 present and voting senators, it did not constitute a majority of the current 43-member Senate.

The opinion of the Court, written by Associate Justice Francis Carbone, explained that a majority of the vote means the majority vote of the seats currently filled in the Senate. Carbone also wrote that the Senate needs a better method of voting, in particular to change its no vote policies.

John Constantinide, speaker of the Senate, said he also acts as lawyer when a case is brought against the legislative body by the Court.

“I’m glad the Court reviewed the ruling,” he said. “It’s necessary for the Court to review all actions, because that’s what keeps it sound.”

At the Senate meeting on Wednesday, Jacob Powell, a freshman, was sworn in as the new School of Architecture senator.

Jon Levine, Zach Chan and Alex Vargas Vila were unavailable for comment.

Megan Ondrizek may be contacted at m.ondrizek@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...