News Update: Junior Anderson pleads not guilty to sexual assault

Michael Anthony Anderson, the student charged last week with committing the sexual battery and burglary in Pearson that took pace on Jan. 17, is still being held in the county jail, according to the Miami-Dade clerk of courts web site. The website also says that Anderson, 20, entered a plea of “not guilty” on Jan. 29 and asked for a trial by jury. This comes after police, in the arrest affidavit, said that Anderson made a taped statement admitting to the charges. At the time of publication, his next hearing was set for Feb. 1.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...