News Briefs

UMNews

UM, Miami Museum of Science collaborate on research project

The University of Miami will be awarded a $1.3 million grant to fund Heart Smart, a collaborative project with the Miami Museum of Science & Planetarium. The Science Education Partnership Award supports the development of a hands-on traveling exhibit.

Granted by the National Center for Research Resources, the award will bring UM and the Museum of Science together in conducting scientific research.

Heart Smart will highlight the distribution of cardiovascular risk factors across Miami-Dade County’s diverse population and share the importance of controlling that risk.

The university and the museum are also set to conduct a health education study that will assess the effectiveness of a museum-based curriculum on student knowledge.

“This project accomplishes two important missions: to educate the community about cardiovascular disease and to collect data to further study the disease, its manifestations and associated risk factors,” Patrice Saab, associate professor of psychology at UM and project co-planner, said in a press release. “Museum patrons represent a richly diverse demographic that is not easy to obtain by more traditional research approaches.”

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...