News Briefs

UMNews

UM, Miami Museum of Science collaborate on research project

The University of Miami will be awarded a $1.3 million grant to fund Heart Smart, a collaborative project with the Miami Museum of Science & Planetarium. The Science Education Partnership Award supports the development of a hands-on traveling exhibit.

Granted by the National Center for Research Resources, the award will bring UM and the Museum of Science together in conducting scientific research.

Heart Smart will highlight the distribution of cardiovascular risk factors across Miami-Dade County’s diverse population and share the importance of controlling that risk.

The university and the museum are also set to conduct a health education study that will assess the effectiveness of a museum-based curriculum on student knowledge.

“This project accomplishes two important missions: to educate the community about cardiovascular disease and to collect data to further study the disease, its manifestations and associated risk factors,” Patrice Saab, associate professor of psychology at UM and project co-planner, said in a press release. “Museum patrons represent a richly diverse demographic that is not easy to obtain by more traditional research approaches.”

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...