News Briefs

UMNews

UM, Miami Museum of Science collaborate on research project

The University of Miami will be awarded a $1.3 million grant to fund Heart Smart, a collaborative project with the Miami Museum of Science & Planetarium. The Science Education Partnership Award supports the development of a hands-on traveling exhibit.

Granted by the National Center for Research Resources, the award will bring UM and the Museum of Science together in conducting scientific research.

Heart Smart will highlight the distribution of cardiovascular risk factors across Miami-Dade County’s diverse population and share the importance of controlling that risk.

The university and the museum are also set to conduct a health education study that will assess the effectiveness of a museum-based curriculum on student knowledge.

“This project accomplishes two important missions: to educate the community about cardiovascular disease and to collect data to further study the disease, its manifestations and associated risk factors,” Patrice Saab, associate professor of psychology at UM and project co-planner, said in a press release. “Museum patrons represent a richly diverse demographic that is not easy to obtain by more traditional research approaches.”

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...