Men’s Tennis: Final destination? Nomadic star has eyes on title

Bahamian star Luigi D’Agord took his time to get to the University of Miami, but now that he has arrived, he is looking to build upon last year’s monster season and take his game to the next level.

D’Agord finished last year as an All-American and is looking to achieve more success this season, although he enters the season unranked among individual players, after sitting out the fall season with an injured foot and ankle.

However, D’Agord has not lost sight of the goal at hand, despite all of the hype and accolades following last season.

“My training has been the same,” D’Agord said. “I am not going to try any harder because of my success. I just try to win every match the same, the way I always have.”

The star ended up at UM in a roundabout fashion, after growing up in the Bahamas and moving to Miami for high school. He played tennis throughout childhood, and ended up at the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa after graduation.

“My cousin swims there and that helped make it easy for me to go away from home,” D’Agord said. “They had a new program and they needed players.”

D’Agord formed a particularly close bond with then assistant coach Mario Rincon, and when Rincon left to become head coach of the ‘Canes, D’Agord followed.

“Mario was an assistant at Alabama and I like his coaching style,” D’Agord said. “Since I lived [in Miami]for five years before college, this felt like a good situation to come back home to.”

While D’Agord remains humble in his quest for a title, others around the program are very excited about what this season holds for their star.

“It is really exciting for me to coach Luigi,” Assistant Coach C.J. Weber said.

“He is one of the most talented players I have ever coached, and it will be interesting to see how he responds to the competition this year. It’s great for our players, especially our young guys, to have a player like him to look up to.”

While Miami’s team has surged to number ten in the national rankings, the injury has still kept D’Agord unranked. However, the coaches seem to think that this will not last much longer.

“He and Josh [Cohen, D’Agord’s doubles partner] had a very impressive win over Duke’s number one doubles team, which at the time was ranked number four in the country,” Weber said. “They beat them 8-0.”

D’Agord refuses to let success go to his head. After all, the build up is nothing new for this accomplished athlete.

Tom Pudge, a volunteer assistant who has worked with Luigi for six years, maintains that D’Agord is that special type of player who will succeed through all circumstances.

“We’re very proud with what he’s accomplished,” Pudge said. “His record speaks for itself at both Alabama and Miami.”

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...