Culture

HATS OFF TO THE BUSKERS: The View

Four Scottish lads will attempt to do what many bands in the U.K. try every year-break into the American music scene.

The View, a pop-rock quartet hailing from Dryburgh, has a sound that mimics the propulsive guitar grooves of The Libertines, so it’s no surprise that they are the band’s favorite band and major influence.

The main difference here is that View’s front man isn’t a heavy addict.

Their new album, “Hats Off to the Buskers,” is filled with catchy guitar driven choruses.

Lead singer Kyle Falconer yelps through the album track by track, making him difficult to understand at times.

Guitarist Pete Reilly is a gifted guitarist and shows off his abilities on tracks such as “Comin’ Down.”

The album’s single, “Same Jeans,” is carried by a guitar jangle that resembles early nineties hit “There She Goes” by The La’s. The stand-out song on the album is “Face For Radio,” an acoustic ballad that shows off the softer side of Falconer’s voice as he croons “You have a face for the radio/but I know you like to see it in a show/claiming to be the next best anything/which way will you go?”

“Hats Off to the Buskers” is a solid album that will appeal to the average listener.

Only time will tell if The View will be able to make it in the tough American market, and with previous bands like Franz Ferdinand, Arctic Monkeys and Bloc Party striking gold in the states, The View will have a lot to surmount to.

Marcos Col

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...