UMPD reminder: Possession of a fake ID in Florida now a felony!

Every year more and more college students use fake drivers’ licenses to gain entry into nightclubs, bars, and other alcohol serving establishments. Florida law states that it is unlawful for anyone to knowingly possess or display any blank, forged, stolen, fictitious, counterfeit, or otherwise unlawfully issued driver’s license or identification card. If you are arrested and convicted of possessing a fake ID, a cash fine up to $10,000 is not the only thing you will have to worry about. Imprisonment up to 15 years is also a possible result. What is even more likely is that you will never be able to get the very job you are studying so hard for. A felony conviction means you cannot sit for the Bar exam, get various medical licenses, work for any governmental agency, work for most chemical or pharmaceutical companies, or work in several other fields. You really need to consider if a few drinks before your 21st birthday is worth the risk. Further information on fake IDs and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...